Q. Can I start taking Shankhpushpi for depression?

Dr. Alka
This is a premium question & answer published on May 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I have been taking allopathic antidepressants since two years now, and I want to try ayurvedic medications for the same. How can I change it? I want to take Shankhpushpi now. Can I take only ayurvedic medicine, or should I take both?

#

• As you have been taking medications for depression from past two years, it is not advisable to quit medicine immediately or shift from allopathic to ayurvedic.
  • Instead, start ayurvedic medicine along with allopathic medication. After some time, when you start getting results, then with the help of your physician, start tapering the allopathic medicine slowly. 
  • This way you will get multiple benefits as you will not get any adverse withdrawal effects of antidepressants, your body will get adapted to ayurvedic medicine till then, and it will not lead to a reoccurrence of the disease again.
  • You asked about Shankhpushpi. It has very good results in depression. I suggest the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Capsule Shankhpushpi, two capsules twice a day with water, for four to six weeks regularly.
  2. Ashwagandharishta 15 ml with equal amounts of water, twice a day for four to six weeks.
  3. Take Brahmi oil and do gentle massage of your head and body, two to three times a weeks, and after 30 minutes of massage take a bath with lukewarm water.
  4. Do Pranayama, meditation, and walk daily. These things will help you a lot in the improvement.
  5. Add fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet. Add more colored fruits in your diet like different berries. These fruits will help a lot in improving the psychological condition.
  6. Avoid caffeinated drinks, smoking or alcohol, if you do.
  7. Sleep adequately at least for 6 to 8 hours a day. Go to bed before midnight, and try to go to bed every day at the same time. Avoid TV, mobile, and laptop, an hour before sleeping, as they will hinder the normal sleep pattern.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer.

For further queries consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

|