Q. Can I take a break in my treatment for depression?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

For the past three years, I have been taking antidepressants. I had Seroxat, Cipralex, Zoloft and Cymbalta after a doctor's prescription. But, I am still depressed. After reducing Cymbalta dose, my doctor advised me to start taking Prozac. I feel so tired with the side effects of those medicines, and I told my doctor that I need two months break from these drugs. I would like to have your advice for taking the right decision especially that I am in university and would not want my grades to get affected. Thank you.

#

• If you have taken so many antidepressants and are not seeing improvement, then you can think of changing the drugs. In my opinion stopping all drugs would only worsen the symptoms.
  • You do not see improvement with medicines, but the medicines are working though not completely. You can talk with your doctor and can remain on the low dose of Prozac (Fluoxetine) and if needed low dose Olanzapine can be added.
  • It should help to control the symptoms. Minimal doses would not cause any side effects and will also help in symptom control.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|