Q. Due to some past incidences, I lost concentration on studies. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Parth Singh
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am so depressed with my life. Everything is going good now, but some past activities and incidents of my life are not getting over. Also, there are some characters in my family who ruined my past life and also trying to ruin my present life. I cannot tolerate them. There are lots of things and harsh stories happened in my life since I was 12. There are many little heart breaking stories happened. All these things affect my studies. I lost my concentration on studies. I am doing my second year university now. I am wasting my time every day. I have no work, but still I do not study. I have lost myself somewhere. I do not know what have happened to me. I feel like dying. Everyone is serious about studies. But, I do not feel like reading anything. I feel so upset inside. I passed with O and A levels before. I would like to study and score a good result. I want to be an engineer. I just want to study properly. But, I lost all my courage. I am helpless. I do not know what to do. Please help me.

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • First of all, if you are really feeling very low, exhausted and numb, then I think you should start with a good antidepressant medication.
  • I suggest Nexito 10 mg (Escitalopram) once a day and wait for the results for at least four to six weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Now coming to the issues of previous issues. I afraid you have been abused either physically or sexually during your childhood or teen years.
  • If that is the problem, then it is the right time to speak up. Be assertive. Convey your feelings without giving much thought about what others will think.
  • You need to assert what you want and what is unacceptable. People around you will keep on taking advantage of your silence unless you speak up.
  • You need to work up on your past bad experiences. You need to accept them as a reality and need to feel that now you are empowered to handle them.
  • Life is not all about tragedies. When we look our present and future with the glasses of the past all we see is black and bleak.
  • You need to identify the positive qualities of yourself and your friends. You need to magnify your achievement.
  • I believe it is a temporary phase and it will pass. You need to show your brave face. Start with today itself. Rise and take your first step forward.
  • Books are just not the books; they are your weapon to fight misery and negative feelings and self-perception. Good luck.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full »

Can antidepressants cause low sex drive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no sex drive whatsoever and cannot obtain an orgasm. Please help.  Read Full »

I am not getting sleep even after taking Stalopam. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from insomnia. I have been taking Stalopam for six months, but I am unable to sleep in the night. I had Feliz S Plus before two years, and it worked for me. But, I was advised by my doctor to stop it. What to do now?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.