Q. How to relax myself during panic attacks?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I am suffering from depression for the last two years. My doctor had changed my drug recently to a new one, which is Zoloft. I have been taking it for a month maybe. I am traveling now and in the airplane I got tired along with depression and severe panic attacks. Even, after reaching the place I could not settle down. I feel as if my heart is going to stop beating from fear, anxiety and panic attacks. I do not really know the reason. I just need something I can do in order to relax from these symptoms. My flight is after two days and I really do not know how and what will happen. Before a year, when the severity of the depression was stronger than now, I did not breathe and the emergency staff gave me oxygen. How to make myself relax? I am really trying to calm down. I am telling myself not to fear and relax without thinking anything. Please help me.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

I am glad to know that you are willing to take necessary steps for avoiding similar problems of depression, which had crippled you last year.

Although all kinds of behavioral intervention need personal interaction and complete assessment, but deep breathing is the one, which can be used in any situations without much effort.

When you feel something is wrong do deep breathing. Allow a single breath of in and out around 10-15 seconds. This will help you to control the tiredness and fatigue.

Secondly, keep yourself hydrated. Take at least four to five liters of water every day, including the day of travel.

Thirdly, ensure proper sleep if possible. If you are not able to sleep properly without medication, then consult your specialist doctor and ask for a prescription.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|