Q. I am doing well in my regular life, but feeling low. Why?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Hello. I am not doing awful. I am doing very well in my classes, maintaining hobbies, working out 4-5 times a week, getting plenty of sleep, but I get overwhelming feelings of sadness that hit me very hard. They seem to be harder and more frequently lately, averaging to crying outbursts of about 7 times per week. I don't know why I feel so sad most of the time, I just do. I am still doing well in my regular life, but I want to know if I should seek professional help. Last year, I felt a little down and tried light therapy. Additional info: I have low B-12 that I take 500mg a day for and a daily oral contraceptive.

#

Welcome to icliniq

I think you are doing all the right things with respect to your lifestyle choices. Sometimes, people can still feel depressed for no obvious reasons. - If you are feeling persistently low for more than 2 weeks / if your sleep, appetite, concentration, energy levels are low/ if you are feeling guilty/worthless and it affects your relationship and work, it is better to consult your physician to rule out clinical depression. Continue with your routine and being active. Sometimes therapy /or medication may be needed if depressive symptoms are significant and persistent Hope this helps. Take care

| 

Can depression be a cause for weight loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from gastric problem for the last one and a half month. I lost 4 kg due to depression. I did my whole body checkup and all the reports are clear. But, I am having pain in my right hand muscle as well as have body pain. Is it due to depression? I studied about leukemia on i...  Read Full »

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full »

Can antidepressants cause addiction?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother aged around 60 years, had depression. She thinks negatively and fears what will happen next in life. She does not feel hunger and if eats something, then gets vomit like feeling with very less sleep. We went to a doctor, he prescribed some medication and she becomes better in ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»