Q. I am having depression and anxiety. How to treat it?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
Published on Oct 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I am a 16-year-old female. I have mental health issues. Here in my country, there is no priority to this problem. Rather they just see it as an illness, and they think I am going crazy. I honestly think I might be. I have been trying hard to ignore my feeling and honestly, think that I am doing well. But could not control my feelings. Everyday seems to be harder, and I get so anxious. My insecurity feel is getting worse. I am not happy and tired of being sad. I do not know what to do more. I think I am losing hope. I need help but do not know where to find one. I feel like losing myself any time soon. I do not know if I can, but I think it is the only way. Please help.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

I understood what you are going through. But you should appreciate yourself for finding the strength to be able to ask for help. That is half the battle.

Depression can be handled in two ways:

1. Medicine, for that, you will have to consult a psychiatrist because these medicines cannot be prescribed online.

2. Psychotherapy, i.e., talk therapy, which is counseling in common terms. You should start it to understand your subconscious negative thought patterns, which are making to feel this way and keeping you anxious and sad.

You should start cognitive behavioral therapy, which is highly effective in treating depression. Consult a therapist in your place or just start a session here. On your own, start with journaling and start writing down your thoughts.

| 

Dealing with Chronic Physical Pain and Niggles

Article Overview: Pain is a debilitating symptom. It is often neglected, and has devastating consequences. The following article deals with common causes of pain, and its management. Read Article

Pain is a protective mechanism. It warns one, of the imminent, dormant, and potential danger. However, chronic physical pain can be disabling, and limits one's functional capacity. Women are more prone to pain than men, as revealed by several study designs and research methodologies. Those aged ove...  Read Article

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Depression - a State of Mood Imbalance

Article Overview: As this world is growing more advanced in every field possible, depression is becoming a common term talked about by almost everyone. Read Article

Let us see what depression actually means. Depression in simple words is a state of mood imbalance. It is characterised by prolonged sadness, irritability and loss of interest in daily activities. Changes in mood, irritability, anxiety, sleepiness, etc., are common but when these signs become so pr...  Read Article

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now