Q. I feel hollow, sad, and have to drag myself through the day. Can you help me?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 10, 2021

I feel depressed and sad continuously. It gets better but it keeps on kicking again in cycles. I feel very miserable at times. I remain sad for around a month or two or three months. After that, I try to become better but still, it recurs again. How to manage it?

#

I understand your concern and I am sure that you are really brave enough to deal with it. You seem to have a major depressive disorder. You can manage depression by non-pharmacological means. You need to follow these guidelines to deal with it. It will really help you. You should do exercise daily for 30 to 45 minutes. Atleast try to go walking. You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily. Sit in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing. Do not stop or force yourself to stop your thoughts.

You should eat home-cooked foods and avoid taking junk foods. You should drink enough water. You should spend quality time with your friends and family. You should spend time on creative hobbies like reading books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments. You should have enough sleep of seven to eight hours daily. You should avoid using tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse. Live your life and do not waste it. Be bold and confident. If you still have the symptoms that persist even after following the advice for four to six weeks, then you need to start taking medications for a short duration.

I will try to follow these measures. I am an active person. I do yoga and meditation every day for one hour. I am always active. I wake up at 4 o'clock in the morning and remain active throughout the day. All the people around me take me as their inspiration. But on the inside, I feel very hollow. I feel sad and I have to drag myself to the whole day. I remain busy and so I seem to be fine. If I sit, I start to feel low and start crying. I have exams and trying to set up my business. So I am planning to do it but it frustrates me more. When I told these symptoms to my close friends, they seem to be scared that I will harm myself. I am trying to deal with it on my own but it highly disturbs me at regular intervals. Please help.

#

You need to start taking medications as early as possible. You need to start taking antidepressants for a short duration. You can take tablet Escitalopram 10 mg one tablet in the morning after breakfast and tablet Clonazepam 0.5 mg at night for sleep disturbance.

Can I get well without medicines? Is my situation bad? I do not have anyone to support me. If I want to get over it, I need to do it alone.

#

No, you will not get better without medications. You need to take medications. It will support you and it helps to deal with depression.

You have helped me a lot.

#

You are welcome. You can have a follow-up at any time.

|