Q. I feel sad and depressed. I get a lot of negative thoughts. Please help me.

Dear doctor,

I am a 21 year old male. I feel quite sad and depressed. I do not even want to perform daily routine. My life is monotonous. I get a lot of negative thoughts. I am so lazy and feel like I do not want to live. I am weak and I lack concentration. I do not feel like going out of my house. Suggest treatment for the same.

Do you have a question on Depression or Sad Mood?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D. PSYCHIATRY
Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology

Symptoms that are commonly present in a depressed patient are:

• Sad mood.
  • Disturbance of sleep.
  • Disturbance of appetite.
  • Feeling of inappropriate guilt.
  • Loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities.
  • Loss of self-esteem.
  • Hopelessness or worthlessness.
  • Loss of attention or/and concentration.
  • Ideas of self-harm.
  • Psychomotor retardation (decreased activity).

You are having almost all the symptoms of depression.

Depression is the main problem for you. You need more focus on raising the mood and concentration with the help of medication.

Antidepressants are very effective in such kind of symptoms and patients show improvement within a period of two weeks after starting the adequate dose of prescribed medication.

If other than these symptoms you are having additional symptoms like hearing voices that others are not able to hear, seeing objects that are not visible to others and feeling suspicious out of proportion, then there is a possibility of depression with psychotic features of schizophrenia.

You need immediate treatment before irreparable damage occurs to the brain.

At this stage do the following:

• Do not use any substance of abuse like alcohol, smoking, heroin etc.
  • Remain active as far as possible.
  • Take adequate time for relaxation.
  • Talk to near and dear ones who can understand your problem.
  • Practice meditation and yoga.

Am I suffering from schizophrenia?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. One night, when I tried to go off to sleep, I had racing thoughts that I had no control over. I did not hear any voices, just thoughts. I could not track them or process them. I was really scared as a result. This phenomenon has been happening whenever I try to go off t...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns. First of all, I must assure you that there is no evidence of disease called schizophrenia in your case. Schizophrenia is often presented with different kind of prodromal symptoms and they do not match ...  Read Full »

I lack confidence in myself and cannot talk to new people. Please help me.
Query: Hello doctor, I lack confidence when I am alone. I am always confident when it comes to the public. I really get busted and also I do not know why. I cannot talk to new people or crossgender with an initiative. I even do not know why I always feel lonely like I know I do not have people to talk eve...  Read Full »
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to develop confidence in yourself. Do daily exercises for 30 to 40 minutes. Do meditation for 20 minutes. Read good books. Take good deep sleep. Start talking with your own self. Stand in front of the mirror and make eye contact with yourself and...  Read Full »

Suffering from schizophrenia.Doubt regarding Sulpitac dosage.
Query: Hello Doctor, My brother (aged 18 years) has schizophrenia since two years. (Note : My father has schizophrenia who is under medication for nearly 25 to 30 years). The tablets prescribed by the doctor were Mirtaz 15 and Sulpitac 50. During this period he had an increased appetite and was obese. He ...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query at icliniq. After going through the detailed history of your brother, it seems that he is suffering from schizophrenia and he responds fairly to Sulpitac. It is also obvious that he had acute exacerbation of his illness after going through some sort of stressor (e...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now