Q. I have a bad temper, and I get irritated over small things. What is happening to me?

Answered by
Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am a 17 year old girl, and lately, my mood is not good, and I think I need counseling for that. Since my temper is bad, I easily get irritated over small things like doing chores, since it is my vacation. My mood is always off, and I have a habit of thinking bad things at the back of my mind, and I realize that it is not a good thing. When I realize that I am doing that, I scold myself and get more irritated. I thought it was because of PMS, but now I think it is not. It scares me that I am already a bad girl and a bad daughter. It came to the point where I do not want to see or talk to my family at all. I got so irritated and used to get all upset, and then I would realize that I was a bad girl, then got more irritated then eventually would cry in the end. I tried calming myself by taking deep breaths, but it is not helping at all. Instead, I got more irritated. What is happening to me? I feel guilty about my actions, and I get angry at myself because of my actions. I cannot control my emotions anymore. I should fix myself before I start my classes, and I only have a month left. I cannot bear to see myself like this again, and I cannot do anything to fix myself. I really need help. I have a sister who is a psychology student, but I know she cannot help me. I hope you can help me. I really, absolutely, need help. Thank you.



Welcome to

  • You seem to be suffering from depressive symptoms, which is why you get irritated very soon. Your self-esteem has gone down. Hence, you have become very sensitive.
  • The feelings of guilt for your act is a cardinal symptom of depressionYou require medications to bring you back to normalcy. As you are young, you have to be treated only with the consent of your parents or your guardian. Seek the help of elders.

You can review with me for further follow-up.

For further queries consult a psychologist counsellor online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Postpartum Depression

History of bipolar disorder ... Family history of depression or other psychological disorders ...   Read full

Depression - a State of Mood Imbalance

.. growing more advanced in every field possible, depression is becoming a common term talked about by almost everyone .. ...   Read full

Do antidepressants and birth control pill affect libido?

.. antipsychotic medication are known to decrease libido, causing low sex desire .. ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.