Q. I have a bad temper, and I get irritated over small things. What is happening to me?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

I am a 17 year old girl, and lately, my mood is not good, and I think I need counseling for that. Since my temper is bad, I easily get irritated over small things like doing chores, since it is my vacation. My mood is always off, and I have a habit of thinking bad things at the back of my mind, and I realize that it is not a good thing. When I realize that I am doing that, I scold myself and get more irritated. I thought it was because of PMS, but now I think it is not. It scares me that I am already a bad girl and a bad daughter. It came to the point where I do not want to see or talk to my family at all. I got so irritated and used to get all upset, and then I would realize that I was a bad girl, then got more irritated then eventually would cry in the end. I tried calming myself by taking deep breaths, but it is not helping at all. Instead, I got more irritated. What is happening to me? I feel guilty about my actions, and I get angry at myself because of my actions. I cannot control my emotions anymore. I should fix myself before I start my classes, and I only have a month left. I cannot bear to see myself like this again, and I cannot do anything to fix myself. I really need help. I have a sister who is a psychology student, but I know she cannot help me. I hope you can help me. I really, absolutely, need help. Thank you.

#

• You seem to be suffering from depressive symptoms, which is why you get irritated very soon. Your self-esteem has gone down. Hence, you have become very sensitive.
  • The feelings of guilt for your act is a cardinal symptom of depressionYou require medications to bring you back to normalcy. As you are young, you have to be treated only with the consent of your parents or your guardian. Seek the help of elders.

You can review with me for further follow-up.

For further queries consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|