Q. I have depression, suicidal thoughts and low self-esteem. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Suresh Kumar G D and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Depression or Suicidal Thoughts? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am suffering from depression. I am having feelings of mild depression, but I do not know if I am actually depressed, but here is a bit of my life since I was a boy. I lost my mother when I was very young and did not have any memories of her. I grew up with my dad and my siblings, but I have always felt different, alone, cursed, and forgotten as nothing seems to work for me. Never felt loved, my dad was addicted to alcohol and, and most of my family members abandoned me till date.

I struggled with the feelings of worthlessness daily as I grew up. I have little or no friends as I grew up, I had a lot of suicidal thoughts. My self-esteem was too low, had a dislike for myself, not able to express myself. I am short-tempered and a little caring same time. When I was 20, my feelings got worst, and I cried every day at night. I have extreme mood swings because when I am around people, it seems I am happy, but when I leave, I return to my hole. Kindly help.