Q. Please suggest some solutions for memory loss, lack of self-confidence, and depression.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

From an early age, I was told by my family that I was not talented or useful like others. My family does not interact with others that much, and they kept me away. As a result, I ended up my high school without having a decent number of friends. I lived alone in my room, locking my door because I started to hate my family's company and wished to have an everyday life and a lot of friends, just the energy that everyone is used to. Maybe this loneliness has caused the most damage. Being alone, I started to think many unnecessary things, and I got lost there. Now I spend most of my time thinking about what I even do not know. I am away from reality and maybe have created my world in my head. I am also suffering from memory loss. I cannot even remember a movie or story. Perhaps it is because I do not be at present and always live in my head. Another severe problem I face is that I feel myself to be worst than everyone, resulting in a lack of self-confidence. All these factors are driving me to depression. I am eagerly waiting to get a solution. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

People and families are all different with their strengths and weaknesses. It looks like your expectations were different. Understandably, your confidence is low. It is quite common for people to daydream and fantasize about escaping from difficulties in real life. Going forward, you need to develop positive coping strategies. Are you in education or at work? You are a young adult now. Start taking small steps to grow into the confident adult you want to be. Try to have a positive relationship with your family members even though your views may differ. Try to look at the good things provided by your family. Exercise regularly will lift your mood and help you feel good about yourself. Do not isolate yourself. It will worsen your situation. Try to open up and talk to like-minded people. Eat regularly and sleep well. Develop short-term and long-term goals. Visualize where you want to be in five to ten years from now. Start working towards the goals bit by bit. Do not worry about things beyond your control. fI you continue to feel low and depressed, visit your doctor locally to assess for clinical depression. You will then need talking therapy or counseling. Sometimes medication also may be used. Remember, it takes time to change things gradually. You can contact us if further advice is needed.

|