Q. Can excessive masturbation cause loss of energy and depression?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on May 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

I am 27 years old. I have engaged in excessive masturbation over 10 years. Due to this, following are the side effects I am experiencing as of now. I have low physical and mental energy as well as lack of clarity in mind and lack of energy to work properly. I feel my breath is hot and there is an imbalance. My earlier stammering problem increased dramatically because of the above side effects. There is depression, lack of interest and enthusiasm. There is no sexual problem and not suffering from erectile dysfunction or other related problems. My immune system is very weak and I am suffering from frequent throat infection if not maintained proper hygiene. When I get throat infection, I feel as if my immune system would use all the energy in the body to fight the infection and above symptoms would increase dramatically. Without thinking that the above problems were due to masturbation, I have undergone many tests such as EEG, heart, vitamins, thyroid hormones, testosterone hormone, throat, sinus, etc., and there was no problem as per the reports. I tried vitamin B complex. Due to which there is slight improvement. I have also decided to abstain from masturbation until recovery. I request you to advice how to recover and gain back the mental energy?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• Masturbation is a normal thing. It is a myth that masturbation is wrong, unhealthy and leads to weak body and mind.
  • It is a normal way of a sexually healthy person to get self-satisfaction.
  • The myth that masturbation is unhealthy is perpetuated by some quacks to earn money and fool people.
  • The symptoms that you described such as reduced physical and mental energy, known as anergia, difficulty in thinking, depression, weak immune system and other physical symptoms are suggestive of depressive disorder.
  • Depression is a mental disease which can have lot of physical symptoms along with sad feeling, weak and guilt.
  • Mind affects the whole body. A lot of times, the cause of physical health problems is mental problem.
  • Also, you need to get over your guilt over masturbation.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|