Q. What to do for tree needle allergy?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

A chinese fir tree needle stuck in my arm. It caused a red bump or rash on my arm. The infected area has spread and has grown. It is itchy and burning. I am taking Epipen injection for my mushroom allergy. I had two Benadryl tablets and Hydrocortisone for the rashes. Please help me.

#

I have gone through the details quoted.

• With the history of your being allergic to mushrooms there is every possibility for you to have an allergic response to other environmental allergens.
  • Did you ever have contact dermatitis to any objects like a watch or any metallic rings? Or any history of allergic rhinitis to pollen or dust? Or any history of wheals or hives to dust or asthma?
  • Well, for the present problem, it appears to be an allergic response initially that got secondarily infected due to scratching and application of cortisone further exacerbated the infection.
  • Staphylococcus bacteria commonly reside on our skin. Scratching introduces it into the skin leading to access or cutaneous infection.
  • If any fluctuation means just peep carefully and pluck it if any remnants of thorn left at that site.
  • I suggest you to take antihistamines like table Avil (Pheniramine) or tablet Levocet (Levocetirizine) twice daily and tablet Cephalexin 500 mg twice daily for 5 to 7 days.
  • Also, I suggest you to apply topical antihistamines like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) or ointment Ivarest (combination of Calamine, Benzyl alcohol and Diphenhydramine) and emollients like Calamine for itch relief. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.
  • Do not scratch; apply cold packs for 48 hours till inflammation comes down. Then you may use warm soaks to enhance healing and be careful next time.
  • All your symptoms should start responding within 48 hours, then the diameter of the lesion and redness should decrease.
  • Revert back me if your symptoms do not come down in 48 hours after therapy started.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|