Common "Diabetes Medicine" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Diabetes Medicine

All type 1 diabetes and some type 2 diabetes patients manage diabetes with Insulin injections. The blood sugar levels can be controlled by taking oral antidiabetic medicines like sulfonylureas, meglitinides, biguanides, thiazolidinediones, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, etc.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Are neck swelling and chest pain side effects of tablet Januvia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hypothyroidism for the last two years, down to 75 mg Levothyroxine. The issue now is blood sugar levels. Over the last year, the doctor has put me on several medicines, which I reacted to at that time level under 200. This year the doctor has changed. He said no medication and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for your query. Your weight is quite high with uncontrolled diabetes. Definitely, you need to change the lifestyle and thinking pattern as well. You need to trust a doctor and follow his advice. Every medication has effects. Otherwise, it will not be effective, ...  Read Full »

How can I maintain my high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55-year-old female. I am taking Galvus 50 mg two tablets per day. My sugar level after food ranges from 200 to 210 mg/dL. Please advise me whether I should continue the medicine or use another suitable medication. I have been taking diabetic medicine for about seven years. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. After meals, the target blood sugar level should be below 180 mg/dL. Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) level is a good monitoring test to see how well-controlled is your blood sugar level. Galvus (Vildagliptin) is a good ...  Read Full »

I am 64 years old and worried about keeping my sugar levels under control. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 64 years old. My weight is 172 pounds, my height is 5 feet 4 inches. I am a patient with diabetes and blood pressure. I was taking Vylda M 50/1000 mg and Trivoglitor 1 mg twice a day for diabetes and Cilamet 10/25 once a day for blood pressure. My fasting sugar level was about 170...  Read Full »

Dr. Gangavati Geeta Pramod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and I understand your concern. First I would like to know, how many days it has been since the medicines have been changed - as it takes at least a week to 10 days for new medications to properly start showing their effect. If it has been less than ...  Read Full »

Do I have vomiting and weakness because of my new diabetic medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, Will my new diabetic medications cause vomiting and fatigue? I have been taking only Metformin for ten years, but my sugar levels have recently increased to 360 mmol/L. So now my medications have been changed to Voglibose and Glimepiride. I have been taking them for a week. I am now exper...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. Usually, most oral anti-diabetes drugs are very well tolerated. But occasionally, some patients may have side effects like gastrointestinal disturbances, which include nausea, vomiting, loose motions, acidity, etc. Glimepiride invariably does ...  Read Full »

What are the generic equivalents for Glycomet-GP 2 and Istavel tablets?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the generic equivalent for Glycomet GP2 (with 500mg Metformin)? What is the generic equivalent for Istavel 50 mg (Sitagliptin Phosphate) Tablets?  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Alternative generic equivalent for Glycomet GP2 includes: Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Fortamet, Glumetza. Alternative generic equivalents for Istavel 50 mg include: Gliptin, Januvia, Siglita, Ristaben. Available in Governments Jan Aushadhi include the following generic ...  Read Full »

Can I increase my antidiabetic drug dosages to avoid Insulin injection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetic person for the past ten years and also having BP. I took a blood test, and I am sending my test reports. I am taking the following medicines as prescribed by the doctor. The medicines are tablet Glyciphage 500 mg 1--0--0, tablet Aquazide 25 - 1--0--0, tablet Rosys-FT 10...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Dhaniram Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Also, start Lantus insulin 8 units in the night after dinner along with the medicines mentioned above. Blood sugar is on the higher side, and you need to control your weight and take a strict diet. Avoid oily, fried, and outside food. Do daily walk for 30 minutes. Repor...  Read Full »

How to take my medicines prescribed for the diabetic problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetes, bp and thyroid patient. I have been continuing my treatment for the last one year. At present, I have been prescribed some medicines by a the diabetologist which are as follows Ondero met 500 mg- Bd, Gliclazide HR, Thyroxin 150 mg -BBF, Cilnidipne 10 mg- BD, Selokem XL 25...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. I have seen the details given. I am sure with each drug prescription the doctor must have already given you instructions as to when and how to take each of those medications. Still I am giving a possible schedule. Tablet Ondero Met need to be taken immediately after b...  Read Full »

Will oral anti-diabetic medications cause drastic weight loss and kidney damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetic. My weight is 152 pounds and my height is 5' 9". My PP glucose level is 150 to 210 mg/dL. I am taking Glynase MF one in the morning, tablet Exermet GM 501 one in the evening. My BP is normal. I tested my glucose levels today and postprandial glucose level is 204 mg/dL. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Krutika Shrikant Ingle

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The Metformin component of the oral anti-diabetic medications aids in weight loss and is usually preferred in overweight candidates. But, there are other medications that do not lead to weight loss, so, you can definitely ask your physician to shift you to such medic...  Read Full »

Vobit M3 is not controlling diabetes. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from diabetes for five years and taking Metformin M2 Glimepiride 1 mg three times a day. Diabetes was under control for one month. Fasting was 180 mg/dL and PP is 360 mg/dL. After taking Vobit M3 daily one tablet before lunch, there is no control of diabetes. Please advi...  Read Full »

Dr. Krutika Shrikant Ingle

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Firstly, I would like to ask you if these readings are after stopping the medications or while you were on them. Also, are you following a strict diabetic diet and doing regular exercise? I would like to stress on the fact that even if you are taking medications, you...  Read Full »

I am thinking to change my medicine for diabetes. What can I take instead of Sitaglu Met?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 years old, and my weight is 213 pounds. I am a diabetic patient, and my A1C test showed a result of 9 %. I am taking Sitaglu Met 500 mg. It has not helped me. When I take it, within five minutes, my sugar level gets increased to 250 mg/dL and comes down again to 180 mg/dL or 190 m...  Read Full »

Dr. Shazli Naseer

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Please verify the dose of Sitaglu Met. It is a combination medication. It has two medicines Sitagliptin and Metformin. Please mention whether you take 50 mg/500 mg or 50 mg/1000 mg dose. Please send a picture of it. Medication alone cannot control diabetes. Determining ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.