Q. I am experiencing weakness and vomiting after changing my diabetic medication. What should I do?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2022

Will my new diabetic medications cause vomiting and fatigue?

I have been taking only Metformin for ten years, but my sugar levels have recently increased to 360 mmol/L. So now my medications have been changed to Voglibose and Glimepiride.

I have been taking them for a week. I am now experiencing weakness and vomiting. What should I do?

#

I understand your concern.

Usually, most oral anti-diabetes drugs are very well tolerated. But occasionally, some patients may have side effects like gastrointestinal disturbances, which include nausea, vomiting, loose motions, acidity, etc. Glimepiride invariably does not cause such effects. But Voglibose can cause gastrointestinal disturbances. Another important aspect is that if blood glucose is not in control, symptoms like weakness, tiredness and fatigue can be experienced. If diabetes is well controlled with FBG < 100 mg/dl (fasting blood sugar), PP 150 to 160 mg/dl (post-prandial) and HbA1c < 6.5 %, then patient always feels energetic. The control was not good in your case, with a glucose level of 300 mmol/L.

However, with the additional drugs, did the sugar levels reduce?

It is essential to know current fasting, PP glucose levels, HbA1c %, dietary pattern, the extent of daily exercise, blood pressure readings, and lipid profile to complete the total treatment upgrade.

|