Q. I have been prescribed Farxiga. Should I stop this drug?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Hello Doctor,

My doctor set me up with an FNP (Family nurse practitioner) who advised me to start taking Farxiga. I am not sure if I should take this medication.I am curious about other professional opinions on this newly FDA approved drug. Should I stop this drug?

#

Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com.

• Farxiga is a novel diabetic medicine which decreases blood sugar by reducing the absorption of sugar from kidney.
  • Since more sugar is getting excreted in the urine, blood sugar starts reducing and thus blood glucose levels start coming down. 
  • Though it still needs to complete phase 4 studies, this drug is pretty much safe as of now.
  • The only concern is that it may increase the risk of urinary infections and genital infections.
  • But still you can go ahead as these are not very serious complications.

For further follow up consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|