Q. Am I at risk of ketoacidosis due to my blood sugar levels?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

I am a 62-year-old male. I am diabetic and taking oral hypoglycemics for more than 15 years. My fasting blood sugar level is 134 mg/dL and PPBS is 470 mg/dL (today's reading). The earlier reading was 240 mg/dL. I am taking Glycinorm-M 80 mg, Gluxit 10 mg, Voglitab MD 0.3 mg, Rozemake 10 mg Inapure 5 mg, Torget Plus, Aspirin, Cardace 1.25 mg, and Cardivas 3.125 mg for cardiac problems. Is there any chance of ketoacidosis? Kindly suggest what to do.

#

The postprandial glucose level is too high. But it is unlikely to cause diabetic ketoacidosis. That condition is more likely to occur in type 1 diabetes mellitus and very rarely in type 2 diabetes mellitus. However, such high glucose is dangerous. You are already on three oral drugs. So it is better to add a long-acting insulin analog such as Glargine (six units at night) to control the overall situation). You should take six units at night and check the fasting level the next day. Continue rest of the medications too. The objective is to bring the postprandial glucose level below 200 mg/dL and fasting glucose level about 110 mg/dL. Basalog pens are available, which help in easy drug administration, and the exact amount can be injected. 3 ml cartridge contains 900 units, 100 u/ml. So you can start the same and achieve strict glucose control. Otherwise, with such high glucose levels, there can be quite a few complications. You should frequently check your blood glucose levels. Plus, if fasting glucose level goes up beyond 140 mg/dL, you should increase two units of Glargine at night. If you are willing, please let me know because this is the best option for you.

Inadequate medication or diet control.

HbA1C, serum creatinine, and urea levels.

Type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Injection Basalog six units at night with current oral drugs.

Diet control and daily exercise.

To check fasting and postprandial blood glucose level every two to three days.

|