Q. My HbA1c level was 7. 5 last month. Should I continue Gemer 1 tablet?

Dr. Talal Hussain
Published on Sep 07, 2016

Last month, my HbA1C was 7.5. I was advised to take Gemer 1 tablet before breakfast for 30 days. My LDL cholesterol is 119 mg/dL, HDL is 40mg/dL and triglycerides 161 mg/dL. My age is 49. Should I continue Gemer 1 along with other medicines? Kindly suggest.

Dr. Talal Hussain

Internal Medicine
#

• The HbA1C level of above 7 is a confirmatory diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. So, now you are a diabetic and should receive full diabetic management ranging from diet modification, exercise and medication.
  • As far as tablet Gemer 1 mg (Glimepiride) is concerned, I suggest that it should be taken lifelong with another medication by the name of Metformin 250 mg twice daily after meals. By this way you will have a good control of diabetes and completely avoid complications of the disease.
  • Your LDL and HDL levels are in normal ranges (low-density lipoprotein and high-density lipoprotein), which is very good.
  • But, your triglyceride level is slightly increased, which just needs exercise and diet modification.
  • I would suggest using raw extra-virgin olive oil by just pouring it on ready meals like lentil or eggs right before serving.

C-peptide, renal function test, liver function test, serum electrolyte and complete blood picture.

Diabetes mellitus.

Hypoglycemic drugs with euglycemic drugs (to maintain normal blood sugar).

Diet and exercise.

Revert back for further information to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article