Q. How to convince my husband to get his blood sugar levels checked?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Oct 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

This is regarding my hubby who is 35 years of age. He does not like to workout at all. I suspect him to have diabetes for a while and the symptoms I have noticed for the past few weeks are just too coincidental for a normal person. Although, I am not able to get him to undergo a blood test, as he is not listening when I say so. Could you please help me relate if these symptoms point to diabetes or any other particular health risk?

• Bladder Issue (he gets up five to six times every night).
  • Abnormal facial and forehead sweating (even when it is not summer).
  • Gets hungry frequently.
  • In sleep, he gets a lot of jolts (like shocks) and gets up with them sometimes.
  • Lack of sleep and thus sleepy during the day and not much responsive to questions.
  • Hair loss.
  • Toenails are foggy and fungi-infected.

Any suggestion or recommendations will help.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

I understand your concern.

• You have not explained about your husband's eating habits and weight or about his family history.
  • Considering he is inactive and some of the symptoms you have described, especially frequent urination, feeling hungry frequently, and toenail infection go in favor of a high blood sugar.
  • You could also be thinking too much while there may be no problem.
  • The only way to clarify this would be by doing a blood test. If not you, try involving other family members, to whom he may listen. You could also take the opinion of a doctor in your locality who can help you by involving him in conversation when you visit the doctor for some other minor reason.
  • Try not to delay further to get his blood tests done.
  • If he agrees to undergo blood tests, these are the preliminary tests you need to do for diagnosis:
  1. Fasting blood sugar.
  2. Postprandial blood sugar.
  3. HbA1c.
  • Additionally, you could also do:
  1. Lipid profile.
  2. Renal function tests.
  3. ECG (electrocardiogram).

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Related Video

Are medications needed to rectify my lipid profile values?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly see the test report and advice what precautions or medications are required especially in the lipid profile section.  Read Full >>

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your lipid profile test, variables like your total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL (low-density lipoprotein), and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) are slightly either increase...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ECG (electrocardiogram) is showing incomplete RBBB (right bundle branch block) or early RBBB and features of left ventricular hypertrophy, and also heart rate is on lower side nearing 60 beats per minute. But as you mentioned, he is a basketball player. So, athle...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now