Q. I have type 1 diabetes and trying to conceive. What measures are to be taken?

Published on Dec 23, 2018

I am a 24-year-old with type 1 diabetes looking to conceive. I am currently 145 pounds and 5'6" tall. What do I need to do? Currently, I am taking Insulin.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? Before you plan to conceive, just try to lose some weight. For the height of 152 cms, ideal weight is 52 to 57 kg. I am sure this will reduce your requirement of Insulin too. As pregnancy progresses the dose of Insulin will need titration. Try to lose that weight not by changing your diet, but by increasing or changing your daily exercise schedule (a lot of cardiac exercises). One month before you start trying, start on tablet Folic acid 5 mg per day, as this will reduce the risk of fetal anomalies, early pregnancy loses. Have a baseline HbA1c. Only when it is < 6.5 %, which signifies the blood sugars of the previous three months, then you try for pregnancy. You can have a complete blood count to rule out any underlying anemia, etc. All the best.

Related Video

What is causing frequent miscarriages?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had four miscarriages in a row. One had a subchronic hematoma. Is there a reason for this or a way to stop? I have given live births but now I cannot keep a child. What can I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent miscarriages need to be investigated actually. You had live births but now had four consecutive miscarriages. It is better to have a thrombophilia screen and products of conception needed to be send out for histopathology to check any chromosomal, congenital, st...  Read Full

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howeve...  Read Article