Q. My husband's blood sugar level is always high despite the medicines. Please help.

Published on Oct 18, 2017

My husband has diabetes for the last 10 years. He is currently on Amaryl M1. He is living a sedentary lifestyle. For the past few months, the sugar level is always high despite the medication. The fasting blood sugar value was around 169, a week back. His other tests like triglycerides, vitamin D, vitamin B12, etc., were also affected now. His major symptoms are tiredness, unable to do heavy work, frequent half-side headache (back side) mostly when the food time is upset, high BP (140/90), loss of memory, bones seem to be shrunk a bit, short temper, and irritability. Herewith I am attaching his latest blood reports. Kindly check and guide us the treatment plan so that we can treat the root cause. His mother and brother also have diabetes.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would suggest a stepwise approach.

• As the blood glucose level is not controlled on Amaryl M 1, increase the dose to Amaryl M 2 (Glimepiride and Metformin), one tablet in the morning and half a tablet in the evening. If the blood glucose is still high, then give the evening dose also as one tablet.
  • He will need regular BP medicines because high BP (blood pressure) may affect his kidney functions in the future. Presently his kidney functions are good.
  • His folate level is also low, so supplementing folic acid in the form of tablet Folik 5mg, on an alternate day for few weeks will improve his folate level. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicines with their consent.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What is the dosage of Rosavas F?

#

• Rosuvastatin 10 mg and Fenofibrate 120 mg. It is a combination drug. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with their consent.

Related Video

Why am I having raised cholesterol levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a full blood count done and would like a second opinion on the results. It was my cholesterol which surprised me. I have never suffered from high cholesterol but over the past three years, it has kept up and recent tests showed serum cholesterol 7 mmol/L/HDL, 1.25 mmol/L/L...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, your cholesterol is high especially LDL. This is more worrisome. Cholesterol runs in family. So, despite a healthy lifestyle, some pat...  Read Full

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your pulse rate is high. Please do a free T4, T3, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test. For your BP (blood pressure), you can take Met XL (Metoprolol) 50 one tablet, once daily at around 8 AM and tablet Stamlo (Amlodipine) 5 one tablet at around 5 PM. You...  Read Full

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exercise or ...  Read Full