Q. What is the treatment for a 11-year-old patient with combined type 1 and 2 diabetes?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

The patient is 11 years old, and right from birth, he is suffering from type 1 and 2 diabetics. Initially, he was on injection and now on tablets every day. As per the doctor, his pancreas is not working from his birth. Can you please let me know if there is any treatment available for this? Also, can the bone marrow blood infusion technique help in treating this issue permanently?

#

Yes, there is a procedure called pancreatic transplant. It must be taking place in your place as well. You can click on the individual hospital website and check if they have a pancreatic transplant facility, but it could be very expensive. But let me tell you one thing that even after any transplant, the patient has to take immunosuppressive medications all his life and compared to that the diabetes pills are still a better option.

|