Q. What is the treatment for a 11-year-old patient with combined type 1 and 2 diabetes?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 23, 2019

The patient is 11 years old, and right from birth, he is suffering from type 1 and 2 diabetics. Initially, he was on injection and now on tablets every day. As per the doctor, his pancreas is not working from his birth. Can you please let me know if there is any treatment available for this? Also, can the bone marrow blood infusion technique help in treating this issue permanently?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Yes, there is a procedure called pancreatic transplant. It must be taking place in your place as well. You can click on the individual hospital website and check if they have a pancreatic transplant facility, but it could be very expensive. But let me tell you one thing that even after any transplant, the patient has to take immunosuppressive medications all his life and compared to that the diabetes pills are still a better option.

Related Video

Is it fine to eat carbohydrates within 40 minutes after taking a GH shot?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it fine to eat carbohydrate and sugar within 40 minutes of growth hormone injection? Because, it is believed that after injecting growth hormone, a person should wait for at least 40 minutes to eat carbohydrate or sugar. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. No, it is not advisable to eat carbohydrate and sugar for at least 60 minutes after taking a growth hormone shot. The more carbohydrate you consume, the higher your blood sugar will raise, which then set off insulin production. Insulin and ...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

My fingers are numb and my feet have a burning sensation. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. A week ago my thumb became numb below the fingernail. It was numb for two days and this went away. Now my left middle finger and the ring finger are numb and my right thumb feels sore. I also have a burning sensation in the feet, sometimes it feels like t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your question and I would like to tell you that peripheral neuropathy can happen in a patient with diabetes which does present in the form of burning sensation in the feet and neuropathic pain. At your age, type 1 diabetes that is insulin-depende...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now