Q. Will drinking alcohol be responsible for high blood sugar?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

I am 50 years old. I have done my sugar test last week which showed high blood sugar value and high cholesterol. My doctor advised me to test because I had irritation while urinating. My doctor prescribed me to take Cumet-SR tablets. My weight is 85 kg and height 5.8 feet. I have few questions regarding this. Is this sugar value bad? Is drinking alcohol responsible for high blood sugar? Which fruits and meals can I take to control my blood sugar? Should I reduce my weight? My cholesterol level is little bit high. Can you suggest a diet for that? Is oats good for controlling blood sugar? I have attached my blood reports for your reference. Please help.

#

I have gone through your complaint and seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It suggests that you have diabetes and dyslipidemia. Your irritation in urine is due to infection in urinary tract which is common in diabetes patient. You need to take antibiotic to clear it out.
  • Your BMI should be between 21 and 22. Your height is 176.78 cm, so your weight should roughly be between 72 and 75 kg.
  • Your sugar value is bad and it should be below 100 mg/dL. You should restrict direct sugar intake and products with high sugar levels.

Yes, drinking alcohol raises blood sugar.

You should take 5-6 portions of fruit or vegetables each day. You can eat citrus fruits like orange, sweet lemon or other fruits like 1 cup pieces of papaya, pineapple, water melon and apple daily. You should avoid mango, grape, date and sugarcane.

Take adequate amount of salad containing tomatoes, cucumber and green leafy vegetables daily. Use green leafy vegetables in soup or salad. Take adequate intake of beans and nuts. You can use artificial sweeteners up to certain extent.

You must restrict your carbohydrate intake. Avoid rice, processed flour, potato and sweet potato. Avoid alcohol, smoking, sweets and cold drinks. Try to incorporate whole wheat in diet. Oats are good in controlling sugar.

You must carry out moderate exercise 20 minutes per day for five days a week.

1. Obesity.
2. Alcohol.

1. HbA1c.
2. Blood sugar.

Diabetes Mellitus.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|