Q. I am diabetic and hypertensive and on medication. Can I go for fasting along with medication?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

I am a 45-year-old female. I have hypertension for four years, and I take Co-Diovan 80/12.5.

In the past days, I performed blood sugar tests on Accu-check device and got the following results respectively in four days after eight to ten fasting hours: 283, 364, 420, 483.

After the lock-down I will go to a doctor, my question is can I go on fasting and taking the same medicine? What can I do these days to lower the sugar levels?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

You have diabetes mellitus and your weight is high as well. If you do not have symptoms you can go for fasting.

You need to do HBA1c (glycated hemoglobin) which will show your average sugar over two to three months previously. Check your eyes for retinopathy. Kidney function test with urine albumin creatinine ratio. Check your feet and blood sugar frequently when fasting.

Lifestyle modifications are the best treatment of diabetes. Low carbohydrates diet and no added sugar, no sugary juices, no bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. If you cannot stop at least take as little as possible.

Take more vegetable salads and consume fruits only as a sweet dish. Do not take mango, grapes, and banana. Apple not more than one piece. Strawberries and other berries are fine. Fasting will also help you to control your diabetes.

Drink more water at night. Sleep well. Do regular exercise at least walk 30-40 minutes daily. The more you practice these things the better will be your control. You may not need medication even.

But if u cannot take Glucophage (Metformin) 500 mg in the morning and evening. Check your sugar frequently. Your fasting target should be 90-130 mg/dL, and two hours after eating should be 150-160 mg/dL.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Why is my vision opaque after a corneal transplant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having vision problem in my right eye. I had corneal transplant done and no stitches have been removed. My vision is opaque now. Is this possibly a rejection? For the eye, I am using Prednisolone, Timolol, antibiotic eye drops and Muro 128. I am diabetic and also taking medicines fo...  Read Full »

Why are my blood sugar levels fluctuating so much?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old working woman, and my weight is 80 kg. I am not diabetic, but my recent reports showed my fasting blood sugar level to be 105 and HbA1C was 6.2. After seeing the report, I got scared, so I redid the test after a week. This time, my fasting blood sugar was 143 and pos...  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hyper...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now