Q. I am taking Glycinorm M60 OD, but still, my blood sugar level is very high. What to do?

Dr. Wain
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am taking Glycinorm M60 OD one tablet twice daily, as advised, but my fasting sugar levels are around 140, PP around 160, and random around 120. My recent HbA1c is 7.2 as compared to earlier 6.5. I regularly exercise for one hour daily, and I am concerned about my fasting sugar levels. Please advice.

#

Since when have you been taking this medicine?

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have been using this for the past six months.

#

Welcome back to iclniq.com.

Can you please write in detail about your diet and what you do (about your work)?

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I follow a diabetic diet. I am an assistant professor, and I do regular exercises daily. But for the last few months, I occasionally had alcohol for about 8 to 10 times.

#

See, you need to understand that alcohol consumption is not right, neither for hypertensive nor diabetic patients; as such, it leads to an upsurge in blood sugar and has bizarre effects on blood sugar. I will advise you to restrict alcohol consumption and not consume more than 20 ml of alcohol in three days, make sure you are precisely taking the diabetic diet, that is why I requested you to mention the diet in detail. What kind of exercise do you practice and for how long? Can you please say your waist size and waist or hip ratio and your buildup?

Thank you so much for your reply.

I eat non-starch items like dhal, vegetables, salads, etc., and rice once a week. I do thirty minutes cardio in the gym, and 30 to 40 minutes of a brisk walk. My waist size is 34 inches, and build size little chubby. Do I need to alter medicine or continue with the same?

#

Kindly define your brisk walk to me; there have been some internet connectivity issues, causing the delay in my reply. I need to know the answer to the above question to decide whether you need a change of medicine; kindly reply; I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your reply.

I use to have a 5 km brisk walk daily in the evening. Kindly suggest whether there is any alteration in the medicines, or I can continue with the same.

#

Please change your medication to tablet Glycomet GP1 (Glimepiride, Metformin, and Voglibase) take daily in the morning for two weeks. Monitor blood sugar level, and maintain chart and follow-up after two weeks. I apologize for there has been a delay from my side due to internet connectivity issues. I appreciate your patience.

|