Q. My father is a diabetic patient. Please suggest a diet plan to maintain the sugar level.

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Oct 13, 2019

My father, aged 65 years, has been suffering from diabetes for more than eight years. He was using insulin injection, 20 ml in the morning, and 12 ml at night. A recent blood test shows that the RBS value is 265 mg/dl, and the creatinine value is 2.1. Now, as per the doctor's advice, he is taking insulin, morning 30 ml and 15 ml in the night. He is also taking his pressure tablets. Could you please suggest some diet to reduce sugar level? He is 150 cm in height and weighs about 70 kg.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

I understood your concern.

Since your father's blood glucose level is not under control, the doctor is right in increasing his dosage of insulin.

His weight is a little on the higher side. A reduction in weight can help both his diabetes and blood pressure readings.

Some of the dietary tips to follow:

1. Instead of 3 major meals in a day, divide it into six to eight smaller meals.

2. Increase the intake of fiber-rich food in the form of raw salads.

3. Reduce the intake of carbohydrates like rice and rotis and increase the quantity of vegetables in a meal.

4. Avoid simple carbohydrates like sweets and sugary drinks. My concern is his creatinine level of 2.1. I advise you to consult a nephrologist without any delay, to assess his kidney functions. I hope that helps.

Why do I feel bloated after I eat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gas problem and bloating after I eat any normal size meal. I have struggled with constipation for years, but paid very close attention to that issue. Currently, it is not the problem. I have had colonoscopy and stool tests and they were fine. I did have colitis back due to use o...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These kind of problems are very common due to our dietary habits and sedentary lifestyle. Sometimes it is due to deficiency of enzymes also, this is uncommon and the main factor is lifestyle. The syndrome of bloating and constipation is known as Irritable Bowel Syndro...  Read Full

I am implanted with pacemaker and potassium is high. What diet to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am implanted with a pacemaker. I am aged 71, potassium 5.1, fasting glucose 273, postprandial 353. What diet should I follow?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumiya Sulthana
Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It needs to be monitored very strictly with diet so that it will help to manage the present condition and avoid kidney problems. Strictly follow a diabetic diet plan with complex carbohydrate diet with a split of seven to eight meals per day. Avoid excess potassium...  Read Full

Why do I get the feeling of emptying my bowel whenever I go out?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. My weight is 63 kg. I have masturbation habit for 6 years. My stomach gets bloated and there is gas formation. I also have tiredness and diarrhea. I have to apply pressure for passing urine and stools. I get the feeling of emptying my bowel whenever I got to go out ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a common problem, most of the individuals have bad bowel habits in some forms. This kind of problem is called IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). This disorder leads to bloating and fre...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now