Q. My father's BP and sugar are high after recovering from COVID-19. Please suggest a diet plan.

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2021

This query is regarding my father's diet. He is 58 years old.

Last month, my father was tested positive for COVID. So he took the suggested medication, which includes Hydroxychloroquine, Azithromycin, Fluvir, Ivermectin, Zinc, and Vitamin C during his home isolation. Last week, he again had tested, this time, he tested negative. But for the past few days, he is feeling tired in the evenings, which makes his hands shiver a bit, and he feels hungry and eats almonds, cashews, and apple. The severity seems to reduce slowly but not negligible, so we consulted a doctor and had his blood pressure and sugar tested. Blood pressure readings shows 180/114, and sugar levels are at 221.

Doctor prescribed medicines for blood pressure and sugar. He also prescribed sleeping pills and a tablet for allergy. Losar-H for blood pressure, Glimestar M1 for sugar (half tablet), Montelukast sodium and Levocetirizine Hydrochloride for allergy, and Trika (0.25 mg) for sleeping.

My father never had symptoms of blood Pressure and diabetes earlier. After this COVID effect, he got this weakness. During home isolation, his diet also changed a lot. (Very fewer diary products, warm water, less oily foods). Considering the above details and my father's health condition, could you please provide a diet chart for my father, who has high blood pressure (180/114) and diabetes (221) and he is vegetarian.

#

Do not worry much. Everything will be alright soon. I think all of you are stressed up much, including your father. I can understand it is pressurizing after COVID. Everything will fall in place soon. Regarding the weakness, you need not worry as it is very common after any viral infection. You can give all general diet which he was eating prior to the infection. But, make sure to avoid pickles, foods that have preservatives, and sweets. Make sure to include vegetables, soup, and green gram. Let him take sufficient rest. At the same time, simple exercise and walk up to 30 minutes is advisable. Boost his confidence that is more important than anything else. I really appreciate your concern for your father. I would not have started blood pressure and diabetic medications. After monitoring the blood pressure readings for a week or two only then, we can diagnose if it is high blood pressure. The same applies to diabetes, we need to see for HbA1c, and then we need to start medications. Until then, it should be controlled with diet. I would suggest you check with your health provider again.

|