Q. Please suggest a non-vegetarian diet plan for diabetes.

Dr. Neha Suryawanshi
Published on Nov 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 22, 2019

I am a 37 year old female. I am on diabetic medication since two years. I have attached my reports. Two months ago, my blood sugars were 149 FBS and 154 PPBS. The doctor had prescribed Istamet 50/500 (1-0-1), Gliclapack 30 mg (1-0-0), and Benipack 4 mg (1-0-1). Last week, the sugars were 97 FBS and 100 PPBS, and urine microalbumin was 34 mg/L. The doctor changed the medication to Istamet 50/500 (1-0-1), Gliclapack 30 mg (1-0-0), Benipack 4 mg (0-0-1) and Olkem 20 mg (1-0-0). My BP was 140/90 mm/Hg. He has asked me to do a full diabetic health check up after three months and revisit him. So, please advise the appropriate diet plan.

Dr. Neha Suryawanshi

Dietician Fitness Expert Nutritionist
#

The diet plan for you is as follows:

1. Early morning: green tea or black tea.
  2. After 10 minutes: three to four soaked almonds and walnuts.
  3. Breakfast: one glass of skimmed milk and three idlis with sambhar (avoid coconut chutney) or khandvi or besan chela or moong dal chela or sprouts bhel and one apple.
  4. Mid morning: one fruit chat.
  5. Lunch: two multi grain chapattis and green salad and moong dal and spinach or methi (fenugreek leaves) and buttermilk.
  6. Evening snacks: one tea and one whole wheat or methi khakhra or one handful of roasted chana or murmura bhel.
  7. Dinner: two chapatis with dal and tomato soup.
  8. After dinner: turmeric milk (skimmed milk).

For further queries consult a nutritionist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Could you please advise about non-vegetarian food? Is it allowed to have lean chicken or fish twice or thrice a week? Also, is it alright to have egg whites? Also, which fruits can I have? I also have millets or brown rice. Is this fine?

Dr. Neha Suryawanshi

Dietician Fitness Expert Nutritionist
#

• You can take egg whites or lean chicken or fish twice a week. But, ensure you take boiled, steamed, grilled or roasted chicken or fish instead of fried.
  • You can take all the fruits except mango, chiku, muskmelon, and sitafal (sugar apple).
  • You can take millets but avoid rice. Limit brown rice to 20 g per day.

For more information consult a nutritionist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Since the micro albumin value is 34, I was wondering if the protein intake should be reduced.

Dr. Neha Suryawanshi

Dietician Fitness Expert Nutritionist
#

• You can take tofu as it is a lean protein.
  • Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Dehydration can increase your microalbumin levels. Hydrate with 10 to 15 glasses of water daily.

Please suggest a diet plan to lose weight.

Query: Hi doctor, I have gastric problem. Can you suggest me diet plan to lose weight with consideration of my gastric problem. Please specify any precautions to be taken and mention the source of food. I am attaching my medical reports which I have done before six months. Thank you.  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a diet chart for a kidney transplanted patient

Query: Hi doctor, Four years before I had a kidney transplant. My weight is 79 kg and height is 164 cm. My current medication is immunosuppressant. Please explain me the diet chart.  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Nutritionist Now