Q. What is the treatment for diarrhea during pregnancy?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

My wife is 8 months pregnant. She is suffering from diarrhea. What is the treatment?

#

• Diarrhea in the last trimester of pregnancy is not so uncommon. It often happens near the end pregnancy.
  • If you are a couple of weeks away from your due date, then it can be a sign that your body is preparing itself for the labor. Hormones, change of diet you take and a lot more factors get involved.
  • Mostly it goes away on its own, but sometimes it may be caused by a viral parasite or bacterial attack. Here sometimes, we need antibiotics.
  • Viral cases do not need antibiotics, though. Your gynecologist can best prescribe you the medications required for the issue.
  • Ask her to keep herself hydrated. My advice is to take water to replenish fluids, fresh fruit juices to replace potassium and other micronutrients and broth to replenish salts in the body.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|