Q. My grandma is in pain, has diarrhea, and is very weak. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
Good Day! My grandma is having a diarrhea, and its not a simple diarrhea. She's really in pain, and very weak at the moment. PLEASE HELP US. What is the right thing to do? We need answer ASAP. Thank you!

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Hello dear. I welcome you to icliniq. I am sorry to hear that she is having diarrhea and in pain.

You did not mention for how long she has diarrhea, this would helped us to understand the potential reason underlying her pain and diarrhea. Since diarrhea less than 14 days duration are considered as acute diarrhea and has to be manged differently than the diarrhea of more than 14 days duration which are called as chronic diarrhea and has to managed differently.

Well I give you treatment considering acute diarrhea and considering possible cause in such old age. Give her Tab Azithromycin 500 mg 2 tablets now i.e. 1000 mg dose now. Give her Oral rehydration solution ORS. Take one sachet and add in one liter of water, and give her 200 to 300 ml after loose stools. She can take as much as she can. Consider giving her Tab lomotil 2 tablets every time she has loose stools, no more than 6 tablets and no more than 3 days.

Let me know if you has diarrhea of chronic duration, and share with me any other relevant information and testing that she has done already.

I hope she will be fine soon. regards

|