Q. My grandma is in pain, has diarrhea, and is very weak. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

My grandmother has diarrhea, and I think it is not simple diarrhea. She is really in pain and very weak at the moment. What is the right thing to do? We need an answer and please help me.

#

I am sorry to hear that she is having diarrhea and in pain. You did not mention for how long she has diarrhea, and this would help us to understand the potential reason underlying her pain and diarrhea. Since diarrhea, less than 14 days duration, is considered acute diarrhea and has to be managed differently from the diarrhea of more than 14 days, which is called chronic diarrhea and has to be managed differently. Well, I give you treatment considering acute diarrhea and considering possible causes in such old age. Give her Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg 2 tablets. Give her an oral rehydration solution (ORS). Take one sachet, add in one liter of water, and give her 200 to 300 ml after loose stools. She can take as much as she can. Consider giving her Tablet Lomotil (Diphenoxylate or Atropine) 2 tablets every time she has loose stools. If you have diarrhea of chronic duration, share with me any other relevant information and testing that she has done already.

|