Q. Can physiotherapy heal diastasis recti?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 31 year old woman in good health. 11 weeks ago, I gave birth through C-section, after a tough pregnancy with complete bed rest for seven months. Walk to the bathroom were the only exercise I got. After birth, I noticed that I was left with diastasis recti of about 2.5 cm width. It is mainly around the belly button around 5 to 6 cm in length. I also get that ridge-like protrusion when I contract the abdominals. I started a kinesiotherapy program to strengthen the core and back muscles, specifically for diastasis. I will go three times a week for a 45 minutes session each time. Can physiotherapy heal (close) my diastasis? And if so, then how long does it usually take to see the results? I am willing to keep with the program for as long as it takes, but I also want to know if I should be optimistic about regaining my pre-pregnancy shape. Thank you.

#

First of all, congratulations for delivering a beautiful baby. I have gone through your medical history in detail.

• Diastasis of 2.5 cm is considered a moderate degree of diastasis as far as our classification is considered.
  • Diastasis is usually hard to heal up completely only with physiotherapy. Since the defect is bony, it takes lots of aggressive manouvers to get the bones back together.
  • Initial three to four weeks after delivery are the most important days if you want to get back the diastasis to normal with physiotherapy.
  • If you have an immediate post-delivery x-ray, then you can get a new x-ray done and compare the diastasis gap in both x-rays to see the progress.
  • If it is still the same even today, then there are very fewer chances that this may improve only with physiotherapy.
  • You can use gradually compressing pelvic belt, which can be tightened gradually day by day.

For further information consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|