Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have LVH and diastolic dysfunction. How to correct the condition?

Answered by
Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have been taking steroids on and off for the past three years. I got artial fibrallation a year ago (never again since then). My blood pressure was quite high 152/90 at the doctor. LV is normal and LVEDD is 53 mm, normal systolic function, no regional wall movement abnormalities.

LVH - 14 mm and beginning diastolic dysfunction (E/A=1, E/E‘ 8-15), LA 21 cm^2.

I already lost 24 kg and now I am weighing 110 kg at 194 cm, my goal is 93 kg. I also stopped steroids and now my blood pressure is 123/75. Will my diastolic function recover once I managed to reverse the LVH?

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

I have gone through your query. Can I know why were you on steroids? Was there any particular disease that was diagnosed and started you with steroids?

As there are many determinants causing diastolic dysfunction, one of the common cause is hypertension.

And yes, diastolic dysfunction is reversible in the majority of the cases over a period of time if you properly control your BP, obesity, and start doing regular exercise, consume a healthy diet, and lifestyle modification. You should also stop any addictions like smoking or alcohol if any. Also, get your blood sugar levels and thyroid profile checked.

Get back with details about your disease and indication for steroids for further discussion and management.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Sorry for not specifying, I have taken anabolic steroids for muscle growth.

I got my blood already checked some weeks ago.

TSH basal - 1,92 uU/ml (reference: 0.55 - 4.78).

Blood sugar basal 66 mg/dL. I fasted until blood test at 11 AM in the morning (reference: 70-100).

Would you recommend any medications like ACE even though my blood pressure is normal so it supports my heart recovery?

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to

Your lab reports of TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and blood sugar levels are absolutely fine. Starting anti-hypertensive medications like ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors depends on the overall average blood pressure. Just one reading will not be enough to take a decision.

What you can do is monitor BP for the next three to four days and measure at different times every day and keep a note of it (say, for example, today in the morning, tomorrow afternoon, and a day after in the evening or so). And then let us see if ACEI can be considered or not.

Second thing is, you are doing a good work of reducing your weight that will be more beneficial in keeping your metabolic profile under control. Please do continue doing regular exercise as well. And never think of starting any steroids again, as they have lots of side effects. Steroids per se for the sake of building muscle mass are not recommended.

You can have a healthy diet with so much proteins and an adequate quantity of fats and carbs along with vegetables and fruits, that itself is enough to built muscle mass and proper growth in a natural way. Anyways it is a past for you now. And get back to me in case you monitor your BP and for any other health advice you require.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What do the symptoms of chest tightness, sweating and uneasiness suggest?
What is the treatment for LV diastolic dysfunction?
Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I am concerned about my diastolic dysfunction. Please explain it.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 59 year old male. My weight is 230 kg and height is 5'11". I am suffering from high blood pressure for the last 15 years. I am taking Metoprolol and a combination of Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide. I had an echocardiogram before four years. It was mostly normal except for enla...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with LVH in ECG. Is this disease curable with Diovan?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old male. Recently I was diagnosed with LVH in ECG (possible LVH). My cholesterol level was 175, and pressure was 90/150. Now pressure came down to 80/135. I am taking Diovan 80 and I have little chest pain. Is this disease curable with this medicine? The sugar level is...  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hyper...  Read Article

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.