Q. Why does my friend forget her own identity?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2020

I have a friend suffering from identity confusion. She resorts to create several characters to identify what she is feeling. Each character has its one likes and dislikes and people it trusts. She usually has a smooth change in between characters, but this time the change is not going smoothly. I read what DID is, but I found the symptoms too extreme in describing her case. She does not have a memory problem in remembering what each character did. I have tried to advise her to seek professional help, but due to personal reasons she cannot seek this help. I wanted to ask if you can give me a clearer image of her case and how I can help her through the change and make it smoother. She has been living through her characters for a long time and does not know who she is. Now, this is one of the main reasons of her confusion and frustration. She is disgusted by herself and feels this as not normal. Please help.

#

• Dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a rare psychiatric disorder in which individuals develop two or more personalities in their life.
  • Identity of one personality is usually not known by other and the disorder is not commonly seen and difficult to diagnose.
  • She is showing different behaviors, but she remembers what she did in other personality. This almost rules out the identity disorder.
  • Yes, she could be showing such behavior due to some underlying psychological conflict and should be evaluated.
  • Please try to persuade her to visit a psychiatrist for help. A psychiatrist will make diagnosis and she will improve in her symptoms.
  • Antidepressants and Benzodiazepines can help to improve her symptoms.

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|