Q. I am trying to lose weight, and I want to know about my daily calorie intake. Please guide.

Dr. Vishal Wadi

I am a 22-year-old female with a height of 160 cm and a weight of 73 kgs. I am trying to lose weight, and I want to know about my daily calorie intake. Also, the calorie I can take if I work out regularly as well.

#

Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is 1459 calories. So, if you are not exercising, you should take 1750 calories. If you do moderate exercise for 30 to 45 minutes daily, you should carry around 2200 calories per day.

If you exercise only four to five days a week, you should take around 2100 calories.

Also, take care of the quality of calories. They should be nutrition-dense, avoiding ultra-processed food containing refined sugar, red meat, and alcohol.

Take care.

Thank you doctor for the advice,

You have said about the maintenance calories. Also, kindly tell me how much should my deficit be?

I am doing a caloric deficit of 500 of my 1750 calories and am having around 1200 to 1400 calories every day. I am trying to lose weight and not trying to maintain my weight. Can you please tell me how much I should be eating to lose weight in the long run?

#

One should never take calories less than BMR and activity requirement. It leads to loss of muscle mass. Loss of fat weight largely depends on the kind of foods you take. The quality of calories is more important than quantity, as explained. So, even at 2100 calories, you will lose weight.

Thank you sir,

Is there any suggestion on a meal plan? I am a non-vegetarian. I eat primarily local food. Do you have any suggestions for my required calories?

#

My meal plan does not give a calorie count, but it works pretty well with balanced nutrition.

Please tell me about your current food intake with time.

Breakfast is usually food items made from rice, oats, at around 9 to 10 AM. Then lunch is usually some fish, matta rice and some dry vegetable dish or pulses like green gram, etc. at around 12 to 2 PM. Dinner is around 8 PM, and I usually have chicken curry with roti or rice. Also, I have tea twice a day, in the morning and at around 4 PM.

#

Welocme back to icliniq.com.

I suggest you the following diet advice:

Morning: Two glasses lukewarm water + lemon after getting up, 15 minutes brisk walk or cardio exercises, 15 minutes stretching in the morning sunlight. No tea or milk or snacks before breakfast.

Breakfast (9.30 AM): 400 g fruits like papaya, pomegranate, watermelon, orange, mosambi, guava, apple, etc.

30 minutes later, can take 30 g food items made from rice, millets, oats with vegetables, or two boiled eggs. Can have tea after breakfast.

Lunch (1.30 PM): Salads, 200 g (any two raw vegetables like cucumber, tomato, carrot, broccoli, bell peppers, etc) and two bowls dal or curry with less oil and one bowl red or brown rice or millets.

Evening (5.30 PM): Green tea or coconut water and 30 g plain nuts like soaked almond, walnut, dates, roasted peanuts, channa, etc. and two boiled eggs

Dinner (8.30 PM): one bowl moong sprouts with cut tomatoes and onions and one glass vegetable soup made with any two to three vegetables like spinach, coriander, tomato, carrot, etc. Later, two bowl vegetable curry and one millet roti or one bowl vegetable polenta. No food or snacks after dinner.

Foods to avoid: biscuits, bread, packed and fried food, soft drinks, noodles, maida items, milk items, white sugar (use jaggery), refined oil, white salt (use rock salt), non-vegetarian food only once a week.

Take a protein supplement 20 g, mixed with warm water, 15 minutes after the morning workout.

Also, I wanted to know whether it is normal to have a weight increase during periods even if I am eating healthy and working out.

#

Yes, you may notice a weight difference of one to two kilogram.

Can you please tell me how often I should check my weight on a scale to track my weight loss?

#

Checking it only once a week is enough.

|