Q. Kindly advice diet for a TB patient under DOTS treatment.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

My father is 48 years old. He is suffering from pleural effusion and TB for the last two months. DOTS treatment is going on. I want to know what foods should he take and what should he avoid?

#

Good your father is under treatment, continue without any break, that is the most important thing. Diet also plays a vital role in TB treatment. Consume fruits, and vegetables like orange, mango, sweet pumpkin, carrots, guava, amla, tomato, nuts, and seeds are an excellent source of Vitamin A, C and E. Protein-rich foods, and foods rich in B complex Vitamins should be taken. Ask him to have a boiled egg daily. He needs more protein because they aspirate effusion fluid from the chest, that is rich in protein. So there will be protein loss. To compensate add more protein-rich food.

| 

I have pleural effusion with a mass in my lung. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently visited ER due to sob. Then, I was diagnosed with a pleural effusion of left lung. Blood work and urinalysis completed during the visit showed normal values. I had chest x-ray and CT scan, which confirmed such and revealed a mass in this area. I went to medical center the ...  Read Full »

When TB treatment was given, my daughter developed hepatitis. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who was a medical college student, was suffering from high fever and the doctor ordered an x-ray and it turned out to be a pleural effusion. Cytology was negative, so was the PCR for TB, the fluid was straw colored lymphocytes rich 90% with some neutrophil and mesothelial cel...  Read Full »

I have suffered with tuberculosis(Koch's disease)last year. Now I am getting the same disease back.

Query: Hi, I was suffering from tuberculosis (Koch's disease) a year back which got cured. And now I think, I am getting the same disease back. What should I do?  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»