Q. My mother is weak after a surgery. Please suggest a diet plan for her recovery.

Dr. Shakti Mishra
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother had undergone a laparoscopy assisted vaginal hysterectomy two months ago. She is 52 years old, height 5 feet and 2 inches, weight 70 kg. She does not have any other medical issues. She was advised to avoid spicy food for a month. She has fatigue, weakness, constipation and gas issues as well. I request you to suggest a complete diet chart for her to recover back and for weight control. Please suggest a vegetarian diet.

#

Your mother needs a wholesome diet that is rich in protein as well as vitamins, and calcium.

1. Start with a low-fat diet which has moderate levels of carbohydrates, but is rich in protein.
  2. Give her four small meals a day, instead of three big ones.
  3. Breakfast should include milk. Idli is a good option, but the sambar should not be spicy or sour.
  4. You can include mixed fruit juices or fresh fruits like banana or apple, which are rich in fiber too.
  5. The mid-day meal or lunch should be two rotis or well-cooked rice, with one full bowl of boiled or stir-fried vegetables, and salad.
  6. In the evening, you can give her vegetable soup or poha or sandwich.
  7. At dinner, serve one full bowl of dal or rajma with two rotis. She can have paneer on alternate days or include cereals of different types on every other day.
  8. Remember to have dinner early, at least two hours before going to bed.
  9. Warm milk can be taken at bedtime, which helps reduce constipation.
  10. Carrot juice helps reduce weakness.
  11. Eight hours of sleep is necessary. Do not skip any meal.
  12. Drink at least two to three liters of water in a day.
  13. Coconut water can help improve strength by maintaining sodium and potassium level.

For more information consult a nutritionist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Thanks for the reply. I just want to know if any supplements are to be taken along with the diet you have suggested. If yes, please let me know what they are and for how long they should be taken?

#

• It is not advisable to give any supplements, as they might cause some side effects or might cause indigestion. Follow the diet chart as suggested above, along with all the prescribed medications. With proper rest, she will be alright.

For further queries consult a nutritionist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

|