Q. My sugar level is above 160. Please suggest a diet plan to get it under control.

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 05, 2021

I am a type two diabetic patient for fifteen years. I am taking 20 units of Insulin per day. What is the diet suggested to maintain sugar level? As my sugar levels are above 160. I just wanted to maintain between 120 to 140. Please suggest me a proper diet plan. I have attached my reports. Please guide me.

#

I have seen all the details attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Please let me know:

1) If you are only on Insulin 20 units, is it once or twice a day?

2) Are you on any oral anti-diabetic drugs?

3) What is the present dietary pattern?

4) What is the extent of daily exercise (duration & intensity)?

Your BMI (body mass index) is quite good. Weight is not an issue. To reduce the glucose levels.

1) We can increase the Insulin dosage by a few units both morning and night by first monitoring fasting glucose then adjusting the dosage by looking at PP (postprandial) glucose.

2) We can add an oral drug like DPP-4 (dipeptidyl peptidase) inhibitor like Vildagliptin with Metformin.

Regarding the diet, it is necessary to know present intake as habits can differ from person to person. Your intake has to be about 1400 calories per day. A diet can be designed for that after knowing the current pattern. Please get back for further queries.

|