Q. Can bullae in the lungs make breathing difficult?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I had breathing difficulty two years ago. I consulted a doctor, and after a spirometry test, he said that everything was normal. However, it is not fully recovered. So, I took a CT two days ago. I have attached my CT scan report. Kindly review my report and help me know the details of this report. Is this report showing something serious that I should be worried about? If yes, what should I do about it?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern.

According to your statement, you have been suffering from respiratory problems. Your recent chest HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) has suggested multiple lung bullae due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and previous pneumonia.

Bulla is an air-containing sac in the lung parenchyma that arises from destruction, dilatation, and confluence of airspaces distal to terminal bronchioles. In your case, bullae are a result of COPD.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything concerning in my report?

Thanks

#

Thank you for joining again. A Bulla is a permanent, air-filled space within the lung parenchyma. Bullae increase physiologic dead space and compress the surrounding normal lung tissue. In some cases, bulla is asymptomatic and does not produce any complications. In such cases, no treatment is needed. If your bullae affect your breathing and overall health conditions, then bullectomy can be suggested. In the case of preexisting COPD, the development of bullae is joint. Volume reduction surgery is a treatment option for COPD patients. According to your recent HRCT of the chest (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), it has revealed that you had bullae in your previous report. No surgical intervention was needed in the past. So, your present bullae are the consequences of your past bullae. No specific treatment is needed right now. So, do not be worried at all.

Take care.

|