Q. I am not able to focus on studies because of my thoughts. What should I do?

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen

I am a student and I like to watch cartoons a lot and read comics. I want to study but I am not able to focus and put my mind to study. Whenever I plan on studying, my thoughts are filled with events of comics. How can I put these thoughts out of my mind?

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

• Low concentration over studies could be due to various reasons. For instance, negative experiences at schools or classes, concerns regarding school performance, and difficulty maintaining results etc.
  • I would like to know what kind of thoughts come to your mind when you struggle with the study?
  • In order to deal with your state of mind, you can practice "thought stopping" i.e. loudly saying "stop" which will serve as a signal for your thoughts to stop. If you experience this again, repeat the process until you get back your concentration over studies.
  • Secondly, you can find other interests than cartoons and comics, so that your mind gets a variety of materials and does not get stuck or preoccupied with cartoons and comics.
  • Moreover, you can practice relaxation exercise and deep breathing before going to study. This is proved to improve concentration and make your mind and body relaxed and peaceful.

I hope this is helpful for you. Do follow up if you feel the need. Best Regards.

For more information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|