Q. Why do I feel sleepy when I try to concentrate on certain things?

Dr. Gursimran

I feel sleepy when I try to concentrate on certain things. Please help.

#

Sorry to know regarding your problems. Can you please elaborate on the problem? When do you try to concentrate, in the day time or night? How is your sleep at night? Please answer the above questions.

This happens when I am trying to concentrate too much. For example, last year we went to a planetarium. They showed a 45 minutes movie on the origin of the universe, I wanted to get 100% out of it, so I focused heavily, and I got sleepy. Another example in my undergraduate, I wanted to focus more on maths lecture since I am weak in that subject, and when I tried to focus more, I get to sleep. This does not happen all the time, but when I really want to focus more on an important thing, this happens to me. This happens both during the day and night times. My sleep is good at night, and I usually get 8 hours of sleep. A few months back, we had a baby boy, so my night sleep is haphazard since I have to wake up to feed him. Other than that, I sleep well.

#

I need to know a few more things. If you have daytime sleepiness? Have you ever had a fall or some facial weakness while having an emotional laugh or any form of sleep paralysis? What if you are alone and watching some movie or TV after lunchtime? Do you feel sleepy then? Do you have weight gain or weight loss?

I do not have facial weakness or any form of sleep paralysis. And yes, I feel sleepy after the afternoon meal. I do not have any weight gain or loss.

#

Do you have any weakness in your legs and arms while laughing or crying?

I do not have any weakness.

#

It does not seem to be anything serious. Whenever you have a good night's sleep, you will not have any problem. There is a drug named Modafinil 100 mg. It does not have any side effects. You can try that medicine once daily after breakfast.

|