Difficulty In Mouth Opening

Can chewing tobacco cause reduced mouth opening?

Query: Hi doctor, I can barely open my mouth up to three fingers space. Is it bad or normal? I have never noticed this before, only recently I happen to see this. I chew tobacco. Is that causing it? Is it serious?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem is very common amongst regular tobacco chewers. Tobacco, beetle nuts, etc., especially when mixed with limestone, damages the mouth walls on the sides if it is frequently placed. This frequent injury and healing process forms scar tissue of fibroblasts origi...  Read Full »

Why do I have difficulty opening my mouth after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hi doctor, Eight days ago, my top right wisdom tooth was removed. Now, I am struggling to open my mouth or jaw. I can talk, but eating is difficult. When I went back to the dentist, he said there was a little hole in the extraction site and filled it with a paste. He also gave me antibiotics. The pa...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There may be a problem with the socket itself, which has not healed properly. If you cannot eat, then it is not a good sign. You need to ask your doctor to take an x-ray of the socket once. Also, there may be chances that the anesthesia is still working in the mouth ...  Read Full »

Will toothache with swelling cause restricted mouth opening?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a toothache, a top rearmost tooth on the right-hand side. And I had gotten rid of it with Ibuprofen four days ago. But now I have a new problem. My right cheek has inflamed and painful. It also hurts when I open my mouth wide enough to even let a spoon in so I can barely eat. That ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. As per your history, I suspect it is a third molar infection as it leads to restricted mouth opening. I suggest you take the following medications: 1) Tablet Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) 625 mg, one tablet twice a day afte...  Read Full »

Can clenching or grinding teeth result in restricted mouth opening?

Query: Hi doctor, I am unable to open my mouth fully. I have jaw pain for a week. It hurts a lot when I open my mouth wide. My mum tells me that I clench my teeth and grind them while sleeping.   Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly upload an image of the jaw. You can have a third molar eruption and so you have pain and reduced jaw opening as common findings. Kindly ask your mum whether you have clenching and grinding on a regular basis. Stress, pain, or trauma, stimulations such as coffee c...  Read Full »

Why am I unable to open my mouth more than two fingers wide?

Query: Hi doctor, Since yesterday, I am unable to open my mouth widely. I have a restricted opening. When I try to open my mouth widely, I have pain in the right side of the jaw. I consulted a doctor yesterday. He gave me an injection and suggested me to take some tablets. In the early morning, I tried to...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please mention whether you have a previous history of dental treatments like fillings, tooth removal, or root canal treatment. Please mention whether you have a habit of tobacco chewing and smoking. Please mention whether you have any associated tooth pain. Please m...  Read Full »

Can head injury result in the inability to open the mouth properly?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 20 years old. Before four days, I fell down from the stairs. It caused injury on the right side of the brain just above the right ear. Now, I am unable to open my jaws properly and I cannot sleep while keeping my head on the right side. When I am trying to open my mouth fully, I am no...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a history of falling down from the stairs. So it may have caused injuries on the jaws and skull bones. You need to do an X-ray of the jaw and temporal to check for a fracture. If you do not have a fracture, then it can be a muscle injury. In these cases, you ca...  Read Full »

How to treat severe wisdom tooth pain with swelling and restricted mouth opening?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner is having a lot of pain in his wisdom tooth. I guess he is getting it but his whole mouth got swelling and he is not even able to talk. He is having fever also now and the pain is not bearable. What should we do right now as none of the doctors are available?  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay Rajendran

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wisdom tooth got infection, so there is pain and swelling. The infection is spreading that is why you have restricted mouth opening and facial swelling. Better start with high dose antibiotics and pain killer temporarily. It will be easier for me to give correct tr...  Read Full »

I am not able to open my mouth wide without a lot of pain after wisdom tooth removal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I got an impacted wisdom tooth removed a week ago, I am still in a bit of pain and cannot open my mouth wide without a lot of pain and today I keep getting like pinching feelings in my temple, ear and neck on the same side as the extraction and I have bad breath and a yellow tongue a...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a case of post-extraction trismus which occurs either due to traumatic extraction or wrong injection techniques. First of all, I do not know how much you open mouth, it would have been better if you can send photograph with open mouth at highest. Coming to your...  Read Full »

Can tobacco chewing cause difficulty in mouth opening?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from mouth problem. My mouth does not open fully. I used to chew tobacco before. So how can I get rid of the disease?  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your query and presentation of symptoms of reduced mouth opening can be due to most common reason that is oral submucous fibrosis in which there is a formation of thick fibrous bands below the mucosa of cheeks and lips leading to stiffening and difficulty in mouth ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in wisdom tooth with restricted mouth opening?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right wisdom tooth is aching and am taking antibiotics but cannot open mouth all the way. It is too painful.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should also start taking a muscle relaxant (Chlorzoxazone) with painkiller along with the antibiotic for a week. You will need a prescription for it. So, go back to your dentist. Do not delay for long else swelling might increase rapidly. Also, use warm salt wate...  Read Full »