Difficulty In Mouth Opening

Can head injury result in the inability to open the mouth properly?

Query: Hello, My age is 20 and i have recently fall from stairs likely 4 day's ago which caused injury on my Right side of my Brain just above right ear and now the problem I'm facing is that i cannot open my jaw properly and also i cannot sleep keeping my head right wise as i try to open my mouth fully ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq As you mentioned you have history of falling from stairs so may be due to that you have injuries of jaw and skull bone. You should do x ray of your jaw bone and temporal as well. To check if there if fracture. If no fracture then this can be due to muscle injury. In such inj...  Read Full »

Can clenching or grinding teeth result in restricted mouth opening?

Query: I can't open my mouth fully. Jaw pains for almost a week but this week it did not hurt it just when i open my mouth big. my mom told me I clenched my teeth and grinding it when im asleep  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ICLINIQ This is your Dentist - I went through your query Ma'am . Am very sorry for the discomfort. As a Specialist am here to help you. Kindly Upload and image of the jaw where its painful . It might be due to Third molar eruption as pain and reduced jaw opening are common findin...  Read Full »

How to treat severe wisdom tooth pain with swelling and restricted mouth opening?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner is having a lot of pain in his wisdom tooth. I guess he is getting it but his whole mouth got swelling and he is not even able to talk. He is having fever also now and the pain is not bearable. What should we do right now as none of the doctors are available?  Read Full »

Dr. Vijay Rajendran

Dentist, Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wisdom tooth got infection, so there is pain and swelling. The infection is spreading that is why you have restricted mouth opening and facial swelling. Better start with high dose antibiotics and pain killer temporarily. It will be easier for me to give correct tr...  Read Full »

Why am I unable to open my mouth more than two fingers wide?

Query: Sir, Since yesterday evening, I am unable to open mouth widely, it is only opening 2 fingers long.... when i am trying to open more widely, i am feeling pain in right side of mouth jaw. I had also gone to a doctor yesterday's night and he injected me & given tablets,,, At morning 4:00Am, i tried to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, 1. Any previous history of dental treatments like fillings, tooth removal, root canal treatment? 2. Habits history? ( tobacco chewing, smoking..) 3. Any associated tooth pain? 4. Any recent fall injury? This lock jaw could be due to several factors like tensed jaw muscles, wisdom tooth i...  Read Full »

I am not able to open my mouth wide without a lot of pain after wisdom tooth removal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I got an impacted wisdom tooth removed a week ago, I am still in a bit of pain and cannot open my mouth wide without a lot of pain and today I keep getting like pinching feelings in my temple, ear and neck on the same side as the extraction and I have bad breath and a yellow tongue a...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a case of post-extraction trismus which occurs either due to traumatic extraction or wrong injection techniques. First of all, I do not know how much you open mouth, it would have been better if you can send photograph with open mouth at highest. Coming to your...  Read Full »

Can tobacco chewing cause difficulty in mouth opening?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from mouth problem. My mouth does not open fully. I used to chew tobacco before. So how can I get rid of the disease?  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your query and presentation of symptoms of reduced mouth opening can be due to most common reason that is oral submucous fibrosis in which there is a formation of thick fibrous bands below the mucosa of cheeks and lips leading to stiffening and difficulty in mouth ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in wisdom tooth with restricted mouth opening?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right wisdom tooth is aching and am taking antibiotics but cannot open mouth all the way. It is too painful.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should also start taking a muscle relaxant (Chlorzoxazone) with painkiller along with the antibiotic for a week. You will need a prescription for it. So, go back to your dentist. Do not delay for long else swelling might increase rapidly. Also, use warm salt wate...  Read Full »

How to cure ulcers and mouth stiffness developed due to pan chewing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got ulcers in my mouth due to chewing pan masala, and I have stopped eating it now. I am unable to eat spicy food and hot foods. I have developed stiffness in my inner mouth. So I am unable to open my mouth. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms and signs indicate that you have a white lesion. I need to check your cheek area and if you can send a photograph with an open mouth, focus on the cheek region so that I can precisely see and say you the current condition. It can be oral submucous fibrosis...  Read Full »

Please explain the problems we face during wisdom tooth eruption.

Query: Hi doctor, My wisdom tooth present in the lower left region is growing. I have a sufficient space for it to grow, and it is growing straight. I do not have pain in the tooth and half of the tooth is poking out now. But I have trouble in opening my mouth fully.  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. An eruption of wisdom tooth cause difficulty in opening the mouth, fever, swelling in gums, pain and neck swellings. You do not need to worry. Restricted mouth opening will get relieved after a few days. Still, to get relief, you can take ...  Read Full »

I am unable to open my mouth fully. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a jaw lock on the right side of my face but yesterday I fell and my left jaw is in pain.  I cannot eat or open my mouth all the way. Also, my tooth has been pushed down. So, I do not know what to do. I am really upset and I am crying now.  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This can be due to a dislocated jaw post trauma or a fracture. So, first get an X-ray done. Then only the exact cause can be ruled out. You can take painkillers like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation. Do cool compresses over the cheek. Regards. For more inform...  Read Full »