Q. What is the reason for difficulty in mouth opening after wisdom tooth removal?

Dr. Purva Jingar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2021

Eight days ago, my top right wisdom tooth was removed. Now, I am struggling to open my mouth or jaw. I can talk, but eating is difficult. When I went back to the dentist, he said there was a little hole in the extraction site and filled it with a paste. He also gave me antibiotics. The paste fell out within about 4 hours. Will it still be fine? Will this be the reason for my difficulty in opening mouth?

#

• If you cannot eat, then it is not a good sign. You need to ask your doctor to take an x-ray of the socket once.
  • Also, there may be chances that the anesthesia is still working in the mouth and that is why you cannot open mouth. Do little exercise to open mouth.
  • Make balloon face twice or thrice a day for a few minutes whenever you are free. Also, put your index and middle finger between the teeth and then separate them to open mouth more efficiently.
  • Use salt and warm water to gargle and mouthwash. Also, visit the dentist to get proper instructions to use the paste. It will help you.
  • You will be fine in a few days, and there is no need to worry. These things happen to many people. Just take care of your eating habits and do not speak much for good.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|