Q. Shall I go with CT scan to know the reason for my father's problem?

Answered by
Dr. Rajyaguru
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

Hi doctor,

My father is not able to walk properly. His x-ray is fine. I guess it as some brain issue. Shall I go with CT scan? Kindly suggest.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • If patient not able to walk properly, then there are three most common possibilities.
  1. He has problem in the brain.
  2. He has problem in the spine.
  3. He has problem in peripheral nerves.
  • If he has brain problem, then he might have a stroke or NPH (normal pressure hydrocephalus). If it is a stroke, then the weakness would be of sudden onset and in case of NPH, it would be of gradual onset.
  • The brain problems would have other symptoms also, I mean other than weakness. The preferred investigation with this scenario would be CT scan of brain.
  • Spine problem and walking difficulty would be of slow onset, commonly with neck or back pain. It would be in both the legs in case of cervical spine and mostly on one side of lumbar spine.
  • Here, the preferred investigation would be x-rays of neck and back in technical terms cervical and lumbar anteroposterior and lateral x-rays.
  • The peripheral nerve weakness would be only in a particular group of muscles and may be associated with loss of sensation in small or particular areas of the limb.
  • Here, the preferred further investigation would be NCV studies (nerve conduction velocity) of both lower limbs.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Was this answer helpful?

1 out of 1 likes

Related Questions:
MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

You should know that sleep apnea is a known cardiovascular risk factor, which means that it contributes to uncontrolled hypertension and atherosclerosis process (generalized narrowing of blood vessels in the brain, heart and ...   Read full

I am getting intense back pain and cramps. Could this be a miscarriage?

.. you are taking your pills regularly as needed. The chance of getting pregnant with regular intake of pills is almost nil. But, if pregnancy happens with pills, the chance of abnormal pregnancy like ectopic is high. Also, I would like to mention th...   Read full

Understanding Low Back Pain

.. commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation .. ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Why Do Some COVID-19 Patients Test Negative?
COVID-19 has resulted in a pandemic and has caused serious health crises worldwide. When we develop the symptoms of COV...  Read more»
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Reliving the Trauma
PTSD is a mental health condition where the person who undergoes an extremely stressful condition, develops disturbing t...  Read more»
Remdesivir - Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Drug Warnings, and Precautions
Remdesivir is a broad-spectrum antiviral medication. It is the only medicine approved for COVID-19 treatment. To know ab...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.