Q. Shall I go with CT scan to know the reason for my father's problem?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

My father is not able to walk properly. His x-ray is fine. I guess it as some brain issue. Shall I go with CT scan? Kindly suggest.

#

• If patient not able to walk properly, then there are three most common possibilities.
  1. He has problem in the brain.
  2. He has problem in the spine.
  3. He has problem in peripheral nerves.
  • If he has brain problem, then he might have a stroke or NPH (normal pressure hydrocephalus). If it is a stroke, then the weakness would be of sudden onset and in case of NPH, it would be of gradual onset.
  • The brain problems would have other symptoms also, I mean other than weakness. The preferred investigation with this scenario would be CT scan of brain.
  • Spine problem and walking difficulty would be of slow onset, commonly with neck or back pain. It would be in both the legs in case of cervical spine and mostly on one side of lumbar spine.
  • Here, the preferred investigation would be x-rays of neck and back in technical terms cervical and lumbar anteroposterior and lateral x-rays.
  • The peripheral nerve weakness would be only in a particular group of muscles and may be associated with loss of sensation in small or particular areas of the limb.
  • Here, the preferred further investigation would be NCV studies (nerve conduction velocity) of both lower limbs.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 
1 out of 1 likes