Q. I am in constant pain due to disc protrusion. Will surgery help?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene
Published on Jun 15, 2018

I have a small midline disc protrusion at C6/C7. Mild left side neural foramen C5/6 and C6/7 due to foraminal disc bulges. I am in constant pain daily and did three months with a chiro twice a week which has not helped and I am currently in my fourth week doing some kind of laser treatment (similar to acupuncture) followed by ultrasound treatment which has not helped either. Will surgery help? I am 39 and trying to have a baby (been doing IVF) want to try and fix the problem so it is not an issue when I have a baby. This has really impacted my life, I can no longer work as a carer as it is too physical for me and causes me too much pain. I can barely clean my own house and now have a cleaner helping me. I am desperate and scared it is going to get worse and that I will be in more pain when I am finally pregnant. Also, why are they wanting to repeat the MRI in four months for the thoracic spine?

#

May I know what kind of pain you have? Is it radiating to your fingers starting from the neck? Do you have pain in both the hands or only tingling sensations? Any aggravating or relieving factors?

You have been asked to repeat MRI after some time due to a small lesion in the thoracic cord which is of unclear significance.

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Sharp pain in the left neck, burning pain around upper back between shoulder blades when I try to do something like light housework. Pins and needles in left hand and fingers, throbbing migraines at least two to three time a week. I had a car accident last year and that is when the pain started. Before the accident, I was pain-free, was working, exercising four times a week, now I can barely do anything.

#

Burning pain around the chest can be explained by the thoracic lesion in the spinal cord which may be post-traumatic since there is no enhancement post contrast.

Migraine will require a prophylactic medication like Amitriptyline 10 mg every night for a month atleast along with Paracetamol for mild headaches and Sumatriptan 10 mg for severe headaches.

For tingling sensations and burning sensations, I suggest Pregabalin (Lyrica) 75 mg 0-0-1 for a month. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I am suffering with disc bulge. Please get me a solution for it.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from disc bulge at the level of L5-S1. It causes pressure at nerve root for past two months. I am under treatment but no satisfactory improvement in these two months. Please help.  Read Full »

There is no improvement in my back pain. Does it indicate disc problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. About a month ago, I injured my mid-lower back while doing weightlifting. There is one vertebra that feels bruised to the touch, and I have pain in that one spot when I do certain movements, like bending. I also have a lot of muscle tightness and aching thro...  Read Full »

Can a migraine and a tension-type headache coexist?

Query: Hello doctor, In short, I have a baby who is now 9 months old. I have started having a visual aura (fortification spectrum) and migraine around two months ago. The aura was almost always on the left side of the vision and the headache (which was quite mild), was on the right side of my head, at the ...  Read Full »