Discharge From Nipples

What does it mean when I get clear discharge from nipples after a miscarriage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. One year back I had a miscarriage. Now I am not pregnant and not feeding. But when I press my nipples white and some times clear secretions are coming. I do not have any pain and I am having regular periods and sometimes 3 days and sometimes 5 days flow will be ther...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepali Raina

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like a clear case of hyperprolactinemia. The hormone prolactin or TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) may be raised. Go for serum prolactin and TSH levels and further treatment will be based on the reports. You may go for a breast ultrasound also just to be more ...  Read Full »

Why do I have milky nipple discharge when I get emotional?

Query: Hi doctor, I got married three years back and I gave birth to a baby boy two years back. However, due to complications I lost my child in just seven days. I never had breastfeeding session with him as he was in NICU. But, sent milk to him through a tin pot for five days. However, after this unfortun...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I must tell you to relax. A nipple discharge is not an uncommon phenomenon in non-pregnant woman. A bloody discharge is serious. But milk-like or colorless discharge is often caused by minor problems. Are you on any medicine like antivomiting or antidep...  Read Full »

Can a cyst cause breast pain and discharge?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past two months I have had ongoing right breast pain. It first began as sharp stabbing pain that would last only a few seconds. Now I am getting some nipple discharge and burning sensation. When I spoke with my doctor about it, she said it might happen sometimes. I had some blood ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breast pain, nipple discharge and cysts could be due to hyperprolactinemia. I do not see a prolactin level in your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do you have a family history of breast cancer? Do these cysts develop even when you are off the h...  Read Full »

Is nipple stain on bra something to be worried about?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old female. After my workout today, I saw a nipple stain on my bra. But, when I squeezed it, there was no discharge. Is it any thing to worry about? I am not pregnant.  Read Full »

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned the color of the stain. Was it unilateral or bilateral? Could the stain have been due to sweat? Please check it again by squeezing the nipples in a day or two. Do not repeat the procedure frequently. Alternatively, get examined by a gynecologis...  Read Full »

My friend has burning, itching and fluid discharge from nipple area. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am posting this on behalf of my friend. She is 24 years female. She is having severe burning and itching around her nipple area. Sometimes fluid also discharges from the affected area. The problem persists for the past four months, and she has also tried anti-bacterial powders, but th...  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your query. What your friend seems to suffer from is a bacterial infection. Burning and itching are not alarming, but discharge from nipple is not a good sign. It could denote a severe underlying problem. The antibacterial powder will not help in her cas...  Read Full »

I have high prolactin.Will this affect my fertility?

Query: Hi, My doctor said that I have high prolactin, almost 200, but I have regular periods. My periods are regular and usually have an interval of 30-33 days. I do not have any othe menstrual symptoms, other than milky nipple discharge. I take ovulation tests every month and comes back positive on my fer...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. High prolactin levels with galactorrhea (milky nipple discharge other than normal breast feeding) can often cause delayed ovulation and irregular menses. The ovulation kits detect the LH surge and do not exactly tell us if there has been ovulation at all. There may be ...  Read Full »

Are itchy marks on the breast a sign of breast cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two indented lines about 1 inch long across the top of my breast. I noticed them this morning, and they have not gone away. Should I be concerned about this? Is this a sign of cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is not a sign of a breast cancer. So, you should not be worried. Signs of breast cancer include discharge from the nipples, lumps, puckering (tethering) of the skin around the nipple, constant dull aching pain, and a continuous inversion of the nipple. Th...  Read Full »

What are the common reasons for nipple discharge?

Query: Hi doctor,I had a cyst in my breast and it was removed before two years. For the last two months, some liquid is coming from the nipple while taking shower. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It could be related to your breast cyst. Milk duct blockage and infection can also be a cause in your age group.What is the color of the nipple discharge? If it is reddish or dark or greenish, then it is because of altered blood. It could be from a very tiny bleeding tumo...  Read Full »