Q. How to treat red circular lesions on lower extremities?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

I have red circular lesions on lower extremities. Currently I am taking Amlodipine 10 mg qd, Benazepril 20 mg and Clonidine 0.2 mg. I have not yet taken any tests. Kindly suggest what can it be?

#

• Red circular lesions can be fungal infection, lichen planus or drug rash.
  • I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the rash, so that I can have a clear picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
  • Let me know the duration of the rash.
  • Is there any history of itching or burning associated with it? Do you have similar lesions anywhere else on the body?

Kindly revert back with the pictures and answers to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have uploaded the pictures for your reference. Thank you.

#

I have reviewed the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• According to me, you have developed discoid eczema. It is a condition that causes itchy, red, scattered, dry and cracked skin.
  • I would recommend you to apply high potency steroid like Clobetasol propionate or Betamethasone cream on the affected areas twice daily.
  • Along with this apply a moisturizing lotion containing white soft paraffin and light liquid paraffin over the entire legs twice or thrice in a day.
  • If the rash is associated with itching take antihistamines like Levocetirizine 5 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
  • Continue this treatment for 2 weeks and revert back.
  • Also avoid using harsh soaps for bathing. Use lukewarm water instead of hot water for bathing. Wear cotton trousers and avoid heaters as all these will increase the dryness and cause more lesions to appear.

1. Endogenous due to internal sensitivity of the individual.
2. Sometimes due to external chemical agents.

Discoid eczema.

Revert back after 2 weeks to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|