Q. Why is the area around my eyes brown in color?

Dr. Zubayeralam

The color around my eyes is brown. Please help.

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern.

According to the statement, there is brown discoloration around the eye.

Brown discoloration around the eye may result from constricting blood vessels that cause discoloration or thinning of the skin due to fatigue, eye strains, lack of sleep, allergies, iron deficiency, prolonged sun exposure, dehydration, thyroid dysfunction, hormonal changes, genetics, etc.

Treatment depends on causes.

You can undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), thyroid function tests, etc., to find out the exact causes for discoloration and then treat them accordingly. You can apply cold compresses on your discoloration area for 10 to 15 minutes in each for 3 to 4 times daily. Take proper sleep. You can also apply cold tea bags to your discolored area.

Peeling of skin, laser therapy, etc., are the available medical treatment for cosmetic purposes.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me.

Can you see the picture I have attached? I have already done the thyroid test and iron, they are normal.

#

Thanks for joining again.

From the attached photograph (attachments removed to protect the patients' identity), I cannot see the lower part of your eyes. I can just see the upper part of the eyes.

As your thyroid function test and iron profile are within the normal limit, then the yellow discoloration around the eye may result from chronic fatigue, eye strains, lack of sleep, dehydration, prolonged sun exposure, etc.

Take proper sleep and maintain sleep hygiene, take plenty of fluids, try to lead a stress-free life, avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight, avoid allergens or irritants like cosmetics, dye, etc.

Treatment depends on causes. So you should try to find out the exact causes of the discoloration and then treat them accordingly.

I have already mentioned the measures that can be applied to your area of discoloration.

Hydroquinone-containing cream can be applied to the affected discolored area and take vitamin C enriched foods or supplements.

Take care.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

|