Q. Why is the area around my eyes brown in color?

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 15, 2021

Hello doctor,

The color around my eyes is brown. Please help.



Welcome to

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern.

According to the statement, there is brown discoloration around the eye.

Brown discoloration around the eye may result from constricting blood vessels that cause discoloration or thinning of the skin due to fatigue, eye strains, lack of sleep, allergies, iron deficiency, prolonged sun exposure, dehydration, thyroid dysfunction, hormonal changes, genetics, etc.

Treatment depends on causes.

You can undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), thyroid function tests, etc., to find out the exact causes for discoloration and then treat them accordingly. You can apply cold compresses on your discoloration area for 10 to 15 minutes in each for 3 to 4 times daily. Take proper sleep. You can also apply cold tea bags to your discolored area.

Peeling of skin, laser therapy, etc., are the available medical treatment for cosmetic purposes.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me.

Hello doctor,

Can you see the picture I have attached? I have already done the thyroid test and iron, they are normal.



Welcome back to

Thanks for joining again.

From the attached photograph (attachments removed to protect the patients' identity), I cannot see the lower part of your eyes. I can just see the upper part of the eyes.

As your thyroid function test and iron profile are within the normal limit, then the yellow discoloration around the eye may result from chronic fatigue, eye strains, lack of sleep, dehydration, prolonged sun exposure, etc.

Take proper sleep and maintain sleep hygiene, take plenty of fluids, try to lead a stress-free life, avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight, avoid allergens or irritants like cosmetics, dye, etc.

Treatment depends on causes. So you should try to find out the exact causes of the discoloration and then treat them accordingly.

I have already mentioned the measures that can be applied to your area of discoloration.

Hydroquinone-containing cream can be applied to the affected discolored area and take vitamin C enriched foods or supplements.

Take care.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I experience lack of sleep, mood swings, fatigue, loss of interest, etc. Do I have PTSD?

It may be due to some temporary stress or adjustment issue ... , it leads you to nightmares, flashbacks, and anxiety, resulting in PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) ...   Read full

Kindly tell me what to do for erectile dysfunction.

.. of erectile dysfunction are many including medical conditions such as hypertension, thyroid dysfunction, diabetes, local genital pathology, low sex hormones, etc., and it can be psychological also. So get the investigation done to rule out medical...   Read full

How much dosage of Sildenafil is advisable for erectile dysfunction in a diabetic?

.. can be due to many conditions including psychological and underlying like diabetes, hypertension, thyroid dysfunction, atherosclerotic disease and some medicine such as antipsychotic, some antihypertensives. So you need to be evaluated to find the...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.