Q. After blood splashed in my eye, I have runny nose and throat irritation. Should I be worried?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 05, 2021

Recently, I had a blood splash in my eyes twice last week. I have done tests for HIV, HBsAg, and HCV. All the results came back negative. Today, I have a running nose with a bit of throat irritation. It disappears after drinking fluids. Should I be worried about this exposure?

#

You can know that even having an accidental exposure to potentially infectious fluids with intact mucous membrane can transmit HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), hepatitis B, and hepatitis C and the risk is low. Having negative results for viral markers is a good thing. I advise you screen yourself at four weeks from the last exposure as there is a theoretical possibility of these patients to be in their window period at the time of the tests.

Is there a risk for me to be infected by this exposure?

#

There is a very low risk even if the patients were infectious.

|