Q. I feel sudden dizziness with nausea and blurry vision. Kindly help.

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Two months ago, when I stood up to let my dogs out, I felt incredibly nauseous and sat down. I then started to vomit. I also felt like I was going to lose control of my bowels. I laid on the bathroom floor, in and out of consciousness, so dizzy I could not see anything straight. I had this weird sensation like cold and tingling from the tip of my head down to my toes. My partner said that I was freezing to the touch, and he got me into the car to take me to the hospital. I convinced him just to let me lay still for a minute. He watched me all night, kept taking my blood pressure, and it was coming back up. I did notice that for about 24 hours before this happened, my right arm and right leg felt a dull sensation, like restless. I slept and drank water, and I still feel residually weird, groggy, nauseous, dizzy with an on and off headache. To me, that is frightening because it reminds me of similar stroke-like things I have read before.

About five months ago, something similar happened where I stood up to go to the bathroom, and I collapsed onto my bed. When I came back, my vision was blurry. I could not speak, and my tongue was moving rapidly back and forth, and I could not control it, and my feet were twitching uncontrollably as well. After a few minutes, I could finally see, and I was drenched in sweat. I felt weird and off for like a week after that.

I am a 27-year-old female with no major health history before these episodes, nonsmoker, healthy eater, and fairly active. Since then, I have had an MRI with contrast (showed nothing), routine bloodwork that looked normal, an EKG, and I am currently wearing a Holter monitor. I have a neurologist appointment this month.

I still feel so awful. I have on and off right-sided pain, headaches, dizziness, and nausea. I am looking for any recommendation or advice as I do not know what to do to bring in such physical discomfort.

#

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to two different causes.

1. Basilar migraine.

2. Epilepsy seizures, although the duration of your symptoms is not suggestive of this disorder.

For this reason, I would recommend performing an EEG (electroencephalogram) to exclude seizures. It is also important to check thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction.

If these tests result normal, you should consider basilar migraine (which is a rare type of migraine headaches) as the main cause underlying your complaints.

In such a case, I would recommend treatment with Topiramate. You should discuss with your doctor the above tests and treatment options.

|