Q. I have dizziness with IHD and mild hypertension. Could this be BPPV?

I am 75 years old. I have IHD, mild hypertension, diabetes, BPPV, and hypothyroidism for several years. I am herewith giving the BP readings taken last week. I am taking Betacard 50 mg, Ismo 10 mg, and Amlodipine 5 mg for several years. I was told that I had T wave inversion in V4, V5, and V6. I have never experienced chest pain, angina, sweating, or dyspnea. Occasionally, I experience vertigo and dizziness, as I have tinnitus and problem in the left ear. I get vertigo only when I get up from bed in the morning.

Kindly advise me on my hypertension at this stage. Is it systemic hypertension or essential hypertension, or just hypertension? Of late, I am experiencing occasional light dizziness when I standup after sitting for a long time. Do I have to go to my physician for any change in medicine? Does this dizziness due to hypertension or BPPV, or something else connecting with the brain? Kindly give your opinion.

Monday - 139/83 at 6 AM, 135/80 6 PM.

Tuesday - 117/71 at 6 AM.

Wednesday - 109/63 at 12 PM, 147/84 at 3 PM.

Thursday - 123/73 at 6.15 AM, 127/78 at 10.15 AM, 126/77 at 1.15 PM, and 138/78 at 3 PM.

Friday - 123/71 at 7.15 AM, 128/81 at 3.15 PM.

Saturday - 139/80 at 7 AM, 100/61 at 11.25 AM.

Sunday - 136/79 at 7.30 AM.

#

Firstly, regarding T wave inversions, as you mentioned, you are a case of IHD (ischemic heart disease), so these changes will be persistent throughout the life, and these are likely old changes.

You are likely a case of essential hypertension, which is similar to systemic or just hypertension, and these terms are similar. Occasional dizziness is likely due to postural hypotension. This is common in your age group. So it would be best if you had an adequate fluid intake, avoid dehydration and sudden changes in postures. Dizziness due to BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) will occur on both standing and lying down. It will not happen just during standing up.

Your majority of the readings are fine, just a reading showing a bp of 100, which is on the lower side, but I do not think it needs any action. So keep on measuring your BP frequently, and if the majority of readings are in the lower range, we may need to decrease the dose, but overall BP control is good.

I shall follow your advise. With your answer I am very much relieved.

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

|